SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standing out as an entry-level programmer

Well, I'm about a year from graduating with a degree in computer science and looking for advice from those in the industry on what skills would make me stand out among other recent graduates - things I could work on and develop in my last year in college.

I've been studying design patterns and some agile development theory - any other suggestions on resume enhancers or other knowledge that would make me more employable?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build up several hundred posts here on sitepoint helping others and give them a link to your profile.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Contribute to an open-source project or two that sparks your interest. Even something as simple as discovering bugs, QA, or submitting patches every so often will help. Bonus points if it's a project that many people use, like Firefox (though that may be a little tough for someone to break into nowadays).

Or you can build your own websites/CMS as a proof of concept.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Or you can build your own websites/CMS as a proof of concept.
    This is something I would suggest. Complete the full lifecycle. Develop requirements documents, uml diagrams, use cases, development, testing (black and white box for example), etc. Then when you go to an intreview you can bring these documents and your app (or screenshots of your app) for them to see.

This will make you stand out over your fellow graduates. The fact that you took your OWN time to do this illustrates your drive and initiative.
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ses5909
    This is something I would suggest. Complete the full lifecycle. Develop requirements documents, uml diagrams, use cases, development, testing (black and white box for example), etc. Then when you go to an intreview you can bring these documents and your app (or screenshots of your app) for them to see.

This will make you stand out over your fellow graduates. The fact that you took your OWN time to do this illustrates your drive and initiative.
    Very good points.

Another plus about the open source bugfixing hobby: it shows that you don't mind doing grunt work of QA and maintenance, which is probably what you'll end up doing for your first year or two at most companies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestions - thanks!

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like has been suggested, a pet project is a great way to stand out. Play with an API (Google, Yahoo, etc.) and build something with it. Just going through the whole project from start to finish proves that you have a grasp on taking on a project and completing it.