SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colours for laptop users

Hi,

I'm working on an intranet site that will have a high proportion of laptop users. I don't use or have access to a laptop so I can't test for myself, but I want to know what colours and fonts are best for visibility on a laptop screen? Anybody know of any guidelines? Personal experience? Same as CRT?
    Gravity always wins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally... I don't think it matters and it depends on a number of factors. Depends on what type of laptop screen, color depth, etc. Honestly, I've never heard of people designing for laptops. Just design your site for resolutions and browser compatability and you will be fine.

CRTs and LCDs are similar enough that you shouldn't have to design differently for each.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc is right, and to tell you the truth my laptop screen is better than a lot of desktops so it doesn't really make a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to say I have noticed a different. Fair enough the comparisons are probably not fair, but the difference between my desktop and laptop is noticeable.

However I think more noticeable effects are experienced depending on platform, browser and resolution. Therefore it is very useful to test on my laptop (800x600 Win95 CRT 12" [i think]) and my desktop (1024x768 Win98 17").

That said by putting both at the same resolution, things tend to look better on my desktop.

But then my laptop is quite old. As Nicky said the new generation laptops are absolutely mindblowing and screen technology is improving all the time, just take the Sony Vaio.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Case in point : I use my Vaio for doing web design at school and on the road. One disadvantage of designing on an LCD screen is that the colours tend to be more vibrant than a crt monitor. Vice versa, when you're designing for an lcd on a crt, you'll want to make sure you don't have colours with extreme values (ie: FF0000, 00FF00, 0000FF).
    File not found. Look behind couch? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't make a difference. MOst New laptops have active displays which are pretty sharp. My old laptop had a regular LCD display, didn't have much problems. Sites looked pretty good on it. Its just that for the best view you had to be right in front of it and not to the left or right.