User Tag List

Thread: Need Java Help

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Java Help

I am not sure what forum to put this in but anyway here is my problem. I just downloaded the Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4. I am going through the beginners tutorial by Kevin Yank called "Getting Started with Java". Now in it he says at a command promt type "javac" to make shure everthing is running correctly. Now I did this and all I got was "Bad Command or File Name". Yes I restarted my computer after installationing Java but I couldn't find anyplace to change any "enviroment variables". The readme that came with Java said nothing about this. Please Help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Operating System? NT? Win2000? Win98? which one?

Basically, I think your problem is that you don't have the javac.exe listed in your system's PATH variable. Check out Sun's page on the installation instructions. See item "4. Update the PATH Variable" and see the section titled "Should I set the PATH variable."

The command "javac" calls the java.exe executable which is located in your SDK you downloaded. You have to have the path (C:/program files/ . . ) to java.exe specified in your PATH variable on your system or typing "javac" will be unrecognizable to the computer.

Hope that helps.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. Everything is working fine now. I am using Win 98 by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the problem?