SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting rid of mysql

I recently downloaded and installed apache/php/mysql on my machine from http://www.firepages.com.au/devindex...rom=oldphpdev.

I was really enjoying using it for about a week until my machine suddenly dished out a fatal os error message. (blue screen of death! )

I managed to get into safe mode and get rid of the phpdev folder that is created bythe install. Apahe and php all seem to be gone and my machine is back to it usual self except on start up. I keep getting an ms-dos window open titled, "Finished -WinMySQL admin Tool" which contains an error saying "abort (1) invalid parameters passed".

I would really like to figure out why my system did not like the install in the first place and also get rid of the msdos window. If anyone knows how to get rid of this and an alternative way to install and use php, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove winmysqladmin from your startup folder and you should be okay. Also make sure that your MySQL service isn't set to automatic (if it still exists).
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That did it.Thanks Anarchos! I don't see any trace of mysql on my machine. Now I just have to figure out why the install screwed up windows. Do you think it was because mysql was set to automatic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PHPDev3 and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Perhaps you should try reinstalling it, only this time having MySQL/Apache not load on startup. When I need to test, I just start up both MySQL and Apache -- the rest of the time I don't have them running.

Regardless, I wish you luck!
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Aes. I may do that. I'm also one of those many people who are undecided on which language to learn i.e. Perl/PHP.

Since I don't have any way to back up all my files just yet I may wait before wrestling with PHP again.

On a side note, I find windows to be so precarious. You have to treat your machine with kid gloves otherwise, CRASH and all the work you've done is gone.
    I have two hard drives sitting in a draw from a previous crash that I had to take out before reformatting. They have photos of my baby being born so my wife's gonna kill me if I lose anything else.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the HDs were NTFS you just need to get a NTFS win98 patch or put them in a NT or 2k machine to recover the data, assumeing there was no physical drive damage. Jumper them as slaves and pop-em in.
    Microsoft’s Motto: Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated…