SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

open.window question...

Code:
    var help_window=window.open('', 'does_nothing', 'scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=200,height=400'); help_window.document.write('stuff'); help_window.focus();\">Help</a>
    What is the point of the second argument in the window.open function ('does_nothign')? I think its called the 'window name' but you cant reference the window by it, you must reference it by the returned variable. What does this 'window name' even do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it refers to the relation it has with other windows. So if you wanted to later on close it, you would need to have specified its name/relationship.

Might be wrong...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you use the return variable to close it. I still haven't found a use for that name thing.

Anyone know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that it lets you assign a name to the window. I have used it in instances where I have multiple links that need to open in a new browser window. Because I don't want to clutter the user's computer with lots of "new" browser windows, I assign all of the windows the same 'name'. This way if they leave one of the browser windows open, then return to the main page and click another link which opens in a new browser window, it won't open a 'new' window, it will open in the existing window.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

There's also an HTML name thing. Just like you can target frames, you can target new windows with HTML:

<a href="somepage.html" target="theNameThing">

Where the target="..." is where the name thing comes in handy. Now, in Window's mind, each window witht he same name (as used for the target="...") is it's own window, so subsequent calls to open a window with the same name just changes the URL of that window. While, the variable actually refers to that window object.

aDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Arielladog
    Hey,

There's also an HTML name thing. Just like you can target frames, you can target new windows with HTML:

<a href="somepage.html" target="theNameThing">

Where the target="..." is where the name thing comes in handy. Now, in Window's mind, each window witht he same name (as used for the target="...") is it's own window, so subsequent calls to open a window with the same name just changes the URL of that window. While, the variable actually refers to that window object.

aDog
    Okay yea, your exactly right. Thank you, and thank you makeda. I wasn't thinking in terms of HTML, I was just thinking in terms of javascript, and it seemed redundant, but now it makes perfect since. Thanks again.