SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use PhpGTK with Ming?

Forgive my ignorance. I only use php on webservers (linux)

If I wanted to build a GUI app that has windows and allows users to browse images and turn them into flash files (or even GD library end result), is that possible? Or is it exclusive to a php build with webserver?

Also, do you know of any IDE's for phpgtk or is it still just a matter of compiling through the dos prompt?

Thanks for your time. Sorry for the newbie questions :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot server up a user interface written in GTK from a web server, it must be ran locally.

That being said, you may either want to use a clever web design or XUL.

James Carr, Software Engineer

assertEquals(newXPJob, you.ask(officeOfTheLaw));

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't want to do anything with a webserver.

I just want to use php-gtk to create a script that works with the basic ming function for desktop apps. Or is there any proven (that works on windows) where my window app can create a flash output?

I just figured if ming was programmed into it, since I have ming installed with php on my pc, it was worth a shot.

I want to just focus on desktop apps.

Thanks

Ps. The end result I want is when the user opens up my application, they can browse 2 images and use ming to manipulate them (any way I please, such as the skew function)

I just wanted to be clear on the purpose. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to develop desktop applications, there are languages much much better suited to the task than php, and I would suggest researching those options rather than developing with phpGTK.

That being said, there are several flash libraries availble in a variety of languages. I see no reason you couldn't use ming to generate flash inside of a gtk app, but I have no experience in this area as I have only used ming to generate flash slide shows for a site.

James Carr, Software Engineer

assertEquals(newXPJob, you.ask(officeOfTheLaw));

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I tried C++ but every library fails when I compile. I figured if ming is bundled into php that I use in the desktop, it should work. I just find it odd that examples with gtk and gd/ming/etc aren't being shown. I mean, these are functions that solve problems.

Thanks for your time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you try gambArt? It is PHP-GTK alternative. The project looks promising. They already have sample application. Maybe this will be alternative incase your PHP-GTK solution failed. The URL: www.klorofil.org