Clear, as ever.
    Ciao

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    The DI tools in Ruby and Python work fine without hinting, it's just a nice to have in this case. I'd have traded that feature for an earlier release of PHP5 with fewer bugs and a language that was easier for newcomers to learn.
    Cars also work without seat belts -- but that's no argument against wearing seat belts. Further, you make it sound like the PHP devs made a trade-off and sacrificed bugs/release date for the sake of adding type hinting; that's neither fair and almost certainly untrue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Type hinting and interfaces in PHP add nearly no value whatsoever, while adding complication.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboots
    Cars also work without seat belts -- but that's no argument against wearing seat belts.
    I read that quote several times and I just can see how it applies here ... or anywhere ... for that matter.

Cars work without cup holders -- but that's no argument against drinking beverages?
    Cars work without a spare tire -- but that's no argument against spreading nails on a road?
    Christopher

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcraft
    The DI tools in Ruby and Python work fine without hinting, it's just a nice to have in this case. I'd have traded that feature for an earlier release of PHP5 with fewer bugs and a language that was easier for newcomers to learn.
    I certainly understand that cleanup and adding nicities are part of the language development process. But I have commented several times that the PHP developers seem to be less interested in moving the core language forward -- especially improving objects. In Ruby and Python they are working on finding ways to hone DI while we are still trying to get it to work.
    Christopher

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arborint
    I read that quote several times and I just can see how it applies here ... or anywhere ... for that matter.

Cars work without cup holders -- but that's no argument against drinking beverages?
    Cars work without a spare tire -- but that's no argument against spreading nails on a road?
    Hi. It was an attempt at anology to respond to lastcraft's comment that "The DI tools in Ruby and Python work fine without hinting". So to dot the i's ... a car can move forward without seatbelts just as you can implement DI without typehinting. That alone doesn't imply that either is a good idea. meh.

Quote Originally Posted by BerislavLopac
    Type hinting and interfaces in PHP add nearly no value whatsoever, while adding complication.
    No. That's taking it too far, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the title "Springtime for PHP6 in Paris" a reference to Mel Brook's "The Producers"?