User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javascript: wholesale escape a large number of characters from a string

Is there a way in Javascript to wholesale escape a large number of characters from a string?

In PHP, one can use the following Syntax:
    $var = <<<ENDB
    Content with any character I want - anything goes
    ENDB;

That creates a variable with its contents being *anything and everything* that's between the ENDB's - including doublequotes (") and other characters that would normally have to be individually escaped.

Is there any equivalent in Javascript for including a large amount of text with characters that would normally have to be escaped?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No
    ck :: bringing chris to the masses.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fast reply! But I'm not very thankful for the answer

Methinks this would be useful - the creators of PHP saw a need for it, and I can see needs for it on the client side. Alas, it is not to be ...

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The creators of PHP created PHP with newbies in mind. JavaScript was created more for the intermediate programmer. And Java is more for the strict programmer. So, JavaScript is more strict than PHP and less strict than Java, falling in the middle. And this is why doesn't have those easy shortcuts (also, it was primarily created before anyone thought of that)

aDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, PERL originated this structure a good 15 years ago, which was quite a while before Javascript. Javascript is less strict than PHP: it requires no semicolons or variable identifiers like PHP, variables are assumed to be global by default. Internet Explorer will even search several objects for methods when no object is specified. For example: if you do <input type="text" onfocus="blah()" /> IE will search the current form element, the window object, and the document object automatically, whereas PHP would require the object to be specified.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're got me there Anarchos, Perl was the first to do something like that. Though, I tend to disagree that PHP is stricter than JavaScript, I think what else you said was right.

aDog

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Javascript were to include the aforementioned fucntion, it would allow the language to be used as a form of 'client side includes' system whereby one could specify an external .js file to be inserted into the current document that would include content to be included in the current document. However, if I have to eliminate all double-quotes from my work or create special handlers to escape them I'll find a different solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can already be used as such with document.write().

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How? This is what I'd like to do in one file:

$var1 = "page title"
    $var2 = "content"
    $var3 = "more content"

And then be able to write that those variables into the document in the appropriate places. How can I do that if I want to include a double-quote in the article for instace? (Without having to create a complicated system whereby text is scanned for the double quote and then a slash is inserted before it ... )