SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resubmitting a site

I need your input on the topic of resubmitting a website.

Is it only done when there are major changes to the site or should it be done on a regular basis?

If I'm currently listed in Yahoo! (and happy with the ranking) should I even think about resubmitting?

If Search Engines robots are already visiting my site but I have not yet submitted our site to them (i.e. googlebot) - will submitting the site improve its ranking?
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submitting should not be done regularly just for the sake of it.
    If you are already in Yahoo directory, your listings there won't be affected by SEO, just don't bait-and-switch, i.e don't change the whole focus of the site as you would then need to be in a different category, and probably be dropped from the directory.
    If there are major changes, by all means re-submit. But if you've got a decent rank (top 30, say) and have just tweaked a bit, wait for a re-index. Some would say, if you have a decent rank NEVER resubmit but I'm not so sure about that.
    I believe if you just let them find, crawl and index your site you will get a better rank than if you submitted the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some engines rerank sites very often so you may need to resubmit if you loose your good position. And sometimes an engine can drop a site altogether so you have to keep checking.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you come up in Yahoo, it is possible that it is the google listing coming up in Yahoo.

Yahoo uses google results in addition to the directory results.

Getting in the yahoo directory itself is extremely difficult to do without paying, and even then it's no picnic. If you ARE in the yahoo directory then I recommend you don't resubmit ever again, unless of course your site moves.

You may already know that but it's worth pointing it out.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe, and pratice, submission only when necessary.

Once your page is indexed, do not re-submit unless you make a significant change (ie: more than a couple words).

By re-submitting monthly all you are really doing is annoying the se's. Consider how many pages they have to crawl on a Daily basis.

The only way to know is to watch your logs.

Say you do update your content often, but you notice that Google is not crawling often, by all means - resubmit your pages (by hand individually) If Google starts showing up often - then stop submitting, they "learned" to include you on their list of sites to crawl often.

I tested the re-submit theory, and my findings (with my sites) showed that at best, I wasn't doing anything other than waisting time. At worst, I was shooting myself in the foot.

A word of caution - especially with Yahoo - as stated, If you are in the directory - resubmitting does you nothing, if the Powered by Google image is at the top (or the listing is a webpage not a directory link) then you are viewing Yahoogle (Yahoo's version of Google). Supposedly Yahoo updates this Often and Quickly. I tend to believe that based on my results. But when se's use Other Databases (like Inktomi, etc) they all have to update the data on their own - which may not be as automatic nor current as Yahoo, here again - re-submitting won't help, you have to have patience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alta vista gives higher rankings to 'older' pages, so never resubmit to them! The last time I overhauled my site, I fell from a #4 ranking on altavista to an unfindable one, its just now creeping back up.

The best way to get listed on google is to setup a link to the new site from an old, indexed site and wait. Google gives higher initial rankings to sites it finds itself, rather than submitted sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it has been commonly held that AV used age as a factor in ranking, receintly they have been some weird goings on over there.

I have been compairing receint submissions, and re-submissions with other SEO colleagues, so far new pages and re-subs are ranking better than older pages. But then it also depends on which server you hit when you search. (which I don't totally buy - they claim load balancing causes the difference in rankings, yet the whole presentation is different which leads me to believe that AV is adjusting their ranking algo and presentation and is still in the testing phase)

We are vigilant icehousedesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard AV give higher ranking to older pages. News to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't resubmit at all if the site is ranking well. That is interesting about altavista, I have a few (been in there for ages) sites that just keep staying at the top. I did have one that dropped out of AV (must have been down on crawl or something) When re-submitted it when straight back up to it's top ranking place. So not so sure about that one.

So I guess we have to study the new algorithms to work it out.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have completely stopped submitting my sites to the SEs. I have found it to be a total waste of time. Instead I've been using Goto. When I need more sales I just increase my ranking to the top 3 spots which gets me listed all over the place - AOL,MSN,Hotbot,etc. - for a day or 2 and then I decrease my bid to the lowest amount possible. Sure it costs money, but in my opinion and based on the results so far it is money well spent. I have also noticed the spiders visiting my sites more often too but I can't say whether thats from using Goto.

Matt Benson