SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some CMS questions

I'm interested in putting up some entertainment sites and maybe try some tutorial sites and I was wondering what would be the best CMS for these type of sites? I know very little PHP and looking to learn more but not sure how much I actually need to know to manage these type of sites. For an example I want to be able to put files up where users can post comments like on www.dumpalink.com. If I would have to build my own CMS what would be the easiest way to learn? What kind of tutorials should I be looking for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To build your own CMS you would need to know quite a lot about PHP and MySQL. If you want to go this route, you will need to read through tutorials on both of the above (www.pixel2life.com is great) but it wont happen overnight.

I would recommend something like PHPnuke as a free ready-made CMS which should do the trick.

Hope this helps,

-Will

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LemoNade (Will)
    To build your own CMS you would need to know quite a lot about PHP and MySQL. If you want to go this route, you will need to read through tutorials on both of the above (www.pixel2life.com is great) but it wont happen overnight.
    As Will says, writing your own CMS is quite an involved process (I should know I'm in the middle of doing this myself - LOL!).

For a selection of pre-built CMS's, check out http://www.opensourcecms.com, where you can demo literally dozens of CMS's with varying feature sets.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx alot I'll check out both sites and see what CMS works best for me

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote my CMS back in 2000 and have been using it ever since. If you're considering writing your own from scratch know this, it will take years to recover the cost of your time. If at all possible, go with one that's already written and does everything, or nearly everything, you need. If it doesn't have everything look at the potential to write a module for it that does what you want. I have been using Mambo, now I switched to it's new incarnation Joomla, for quickie sites. It's nice because I don't even have to reinstall it, I just copy the whole site directory to the new site and change the config file and create the new database. Takes only about 2 hours to get a completely new site up. Good luck.
    I study speed waiting. I can wait an entire hour in 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla/Mambo is a very good one. With some trickery and good CSS skills and you can end up with a very nice site.
    ]