User Tag List

Thread: sugar CRM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sugar CRM?

dear buddies,

has anybody come across sugar CRM open source, i would like to hear some thoughts on this,

if anybody can give me some good idea about how it works, what are the features, and why would you go for that?

thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used it - I tested it out when I was considering whether or not to upgrade my Sage Act! software. I've got it installed on my server and played around with it quite a bit - it's a really powerful piece of software.

The only, single drawback I could find what lack of syncronization with PDA's and local programs. I have a Palm Treo and am out of the office just as much as I'm in... so I absolutely have to have synchronization. That was a killer for me.

If you don't need to sync - check it out. It'll probably do everything you need in a CRM solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed it and tried it out, and seemed to run into several big bugs. One of them completely stopped me from being able to access the software for about a week (and others had this problem as well, so I know it wasn't something I did to myself). Despite my pleas, my posts to their forum went unanswered. So you get what you pay for, I guess. It looks cool, but I'm not sure I would trust it with a whole bunch of critical data just yet, unless I also had a lot of time available to troubleshoot it if something happened.

There's certainly a lot to it... it's probably overkill for a lot of people. It would be nice to find something a little simpler.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey kuhajeya, I have reviewed SugarCRM's modules and features on my company's blog: http://blogs.sourcio.com, have a look, it should help you out some.

SugarCRM is the most popular open-source CRM system, probably the most mature one too. Perhaps that is a reason (though certainly not an excuse) why flyingpylon experienced the service that he did; Sugar may be paying a little less attention to their free customers simply because they are busy with their paid clients. Still, it is a very good and popular product, there should be a large community supporting it not only on their forums, you could try the sourceforge forums for example. I believe that v-Tiger is a spinoff of SugarCRM, except they are not nearly as big or popular.

I'm curious to know what you are planning to use it for, like beley and flyingpylon have already written, it's pretty powerful and it may be overkill. I like it though, it's what we use at the office.

BTW, next week the blog I mentioned should have a review of Centraview, another open-source CRM. I liked it lot, in many ways it's just as good or better than SugarCRM, it may be a better choice depending on what your needs are.
    Free, Ajax-powered website and server monitoring: mon.itor.us
    And the open source company that released it: Sourcio