SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP and MS Access

Can I use PHP on an Access database? I have been asked to use Access and I know php doesn't natively support it, what would I have to install ect? I'm coming from working with MySQL (aren't we all?) anyways, can I use the OBDC funtions? Please speak to me like I have no idea because I truly don't...

This isn't going to be a very complex db, but it needs to be reliable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can. Use the odbc functions, and setup Access as an ODBC thingee (can't think of correct word to use here).

When you say it needs to be reliable I tend to gargle, since you have to use Access, but then, some people will say that Access will be fine.
    Oh no! the coots are eating my nodes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I did to get PHP working with Access (using an ODBC data source) in Windows 2000

- in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Data Sources (ODBC) create a new System Data Source (under System DNS)

Then you can use the ODBC functions such as odbc_connect(), etc.
    I found that I didn't need a user or password... just used odbc_connect("data_source_name", "", "").

In terms of reliablity... I found that some of odbc functions seemed to behave a bit weirdly. I guess some of the functions have problems with the Access ODBC Driver. I've had problems with odbc_num_rows() returning -1 and have had problems trying to get the restults from odbc_tables() using obdc_fetch_row() and odbc_results(). You can find a lot of info at www.php.net
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice!

I was really just looking for some opinions. I'm gonna check out php manual too though. THanks!