SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building a community as a part time job

Sorry, if I'm out of place but I wanted to speak up for those of us that dont actually want to make loads of money.

I have been around forums since 2001 as a member, not owner and realised there wasnt a forum around that discussed loyalty schemes so I got a few quotes for a design and install of vbulletin, took a deep breath and went for it. I keep hearing that adsense doesnt do well on forums etc, but by "well" I assume you mean thousands of dollars. I am a full time Mum who started this as a hobby and hoped at best that I would cover the hosting and design costs and dreamed of making a bit more besides. It's too early to say what I am going to make this month as I just started with adsense a few days ago but I have to say I'm surprised that I've earned $22 when others here are struggling to earn anything. I'm aiming for $200 dollars in my first month. I only have 68 members at this moment in time (with a fair bit of traffic) but the forum is growing, we recently moved from a free host and the original forum was started 3 months ago and well placed on google for the main search term (number 2 in fact).

For me in my first month $200 dollars would be great, so it really bothers me when others complain about earning far greater figures than that. For a Mother that wants to work from home and earn some extra money, this is a great part time job!

I wish someone had told me 4 years ago to start a site, stick adsense on it, learn to optimise, read as much as you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds are, your earnings thus far are skewed...I too saw incredible earnings from adsense when I first started using it, but I can almost guarantee that they will incline. Thing is, especially if you have a tight-knit community - that, when you first place the ads, they are new and interesting for your members...thus they receive much attention and clicks. This will not last forever. Don't get me wrong, your earnings thus far could be completely normal, I just wouldnt bank on it...no pun intended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree - it's not often you see a forum make more $adsense per month than it has members, and (assuming it's LoyaltyPoints you're talking about) I see nothing about what you've done with adsense that other forums not getting that kind of CTR aren't - suggesting GTAce's analysis, that members have seen the ads go up and either haven't developed banner blindness yet, or are doing you a favour and clicking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think AdSense on forums do well. Glad you're successful with them .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you change the color and shape of you adsense ads bi-weekly or so they will be attractive.
    Bulk rate myspace bulletins to 9000 friends!

PM me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley
    i agree - it's not often you see a forum make more $adsense per month than it has members, and (assuming it's LoyaltyPoints you're talking about) I see nothing about what you've done with adsense that other forums not getting that kind of CTR aren't - suggesting GTAce's analysis, that members have seen the ads go up and either haven't developed banner blindness yet, or are doing you a favour and clicking
    I wasnt saying I've done anything different, just that if my earnings remain on the same level then I will be happy with $200 or so a month.

I havent optimised my ads yet, they were placed by the guy who did the site for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't expect to earn $200 per month with your current activity, trust me...all we are saying is that your earnings will slow down - the intial few days, week, whatever is not a good indicator of how much you will earn monthly

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just keep on changing color scheme of ads .. it will do better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't steek in what the others before me said (even if they are right)

Good luck with your site. It is good to know that real people earn some money from internet, and even better if they can live from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you optimize the ads well, make them blend in and promote your site at the same time, then you'd probably see results.

Remember the key to success is to be patient
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I made the changes to the ads about a week ago and CTR has dramatically improved. The forum has been running for 15 days and I made $108 so will get the payout next month. Not a bad start

GTAce, it may not be the norm but I will probably earn over $200 next month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Congratulations on your success!
    2. Try getting some synonyms for your keywords and targeting them at the search engines as well. I, for example, had no idea what 'loyalty points' were. We just don't call them this where I live.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Akela, what would you say instead of "loyalty points"? I guess most of the forum is UK based so it doesnt really matter but would be interested to know some other terms.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointsmaker
    Hi Akela, what would you say instead of "loyalty points"? I guess most of the forum is UK based so it doesnt really matter but would be interested to know some other terms.
    In the US these are usually Membership Cards. I think that to the American ear loyalty points sounds a little too Orwellian. Or maybe like something that reporters earn from our current administration.
    www.ceamus.com
    Simple Content Management

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at your site now, very nice. I see it grew a lot in the month from this post. Good job. Plus, I see your Google Adsense ads are highly targeted.

- Tomer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the success. Take from a Big Board admin, your effort will always be rewarded IF you test things and make smart decisions. $200 is just a starting place. Now aim for $2,000! Best wishes...
    New @ EarnersForum.com ~ Free Ajax Keyword Rankings Tool
    Amazing Free Marketplace - Many Features ~ Earners Forum
    Recent Audio Interview ~ Chad of DirectoryVault.com + More

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it has to be said success so far is more by luck than judgement but I read a lot and ask a lot of questions.

I'm going to build a website around the forum, just need to work on that now.

Thanks for letting me know the American/Canadian terms Clay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reward miles, air miles (even if they have nothing to do with air). I'll try to think of other later (it's 4 am for me )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pointsmaker,

Akela just pointed up a few more names for them. It's all the same thing though. There may be additional terms in Canada that we don't have here. The two countries are very similar, but they aren't completely the same and companies do run different advertising campaigns for Canada and the U.S.
    www.ceamus.com
    Simple Content Management