SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a website that compares credit card processors?

I have been reading many of the posts in this eCommerce thread regarding credit card processors.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that compares the various credit card processors? It might be nice to have a side-by-side comparison of the fee(s) along with customer reviews/opinions of the processors.

Does this exist? If not, it might be a good site for someone to create.

Thanks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this site:
    http://credit-card-processing-review.toptenreviews.com/

Top Ten Reviews is a pretty good site for software and service reviews...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish
    That article compares gateways. gateways are not credit card processors. They do not establish merchant accounts but connect online stores to merchant accounts. (It actually even says that in the article )

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I get for not reading it, huh!

I guess someone should review all the processors and publish an article on SitePoint

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your link had the right idea. However, I disagree with a lot of its data so I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a reliable resource. I'm not sure there is one out there that is truly complete and credible because to get that kind of data you essentially need to establish at least one merchant account with each one to truly know what they have going on and I doubt anyone has gone so far as to do that.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if someone would have to set up an account at all processors to create a comparison site (but it would be nice).

Just a site that had a comparison of the objective facets of the different processors (things like fees, how long they have been around,...)

Then there would be a section where people that have used the processor could make a comment--somewhat like epinions or even a messageboard with forums for each processor.

Just a thought if I can't find something that exists--which I would prefer.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's a lot more involved then just fees and longevity (although the fees part is very important). The people you speak to to establish a merchant account is typically not the same company that actually processes your credit card sales or does your customer service. Plus rates and fees can vary when you speak to your sales agent as they may have alternate programs that you may be eligible for that benefits both you and them. And every processing bank is going to be reliable and professional as Visa and MasterCard would smite them in a heartbeat if they weren't. Plus just having good rates doesn't mean the process of establishing a merchant account is going to be smooth with every company (that's why I say you need to establish an account with each processor to truly know them as there is a lot involved. It's more then just signing some paperwork).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a Google search for the Maculator. It is a very handy tool to compare credit card processing companies by just looking at the costs like set up fees, monthly costs and commission rates and covers most of the processing companies that I know of.