SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling my ad space (like this site does) Is it a good idea?

Assuming I get good traffic, and I advertise a $10 CPM or around that....Do you think someone would buy a $10 CPM?
    Does this site sell it's ad space for what you say?
    I saw on gethigh that a site said they sold their ad space for $6 CPM, but he bought it for $.25 and was their highest CPM rate.

This person also claimed yahoo was selling ad space for $2-$5...I really doubt that, to be advertised on yahoo for that cheap would be a steal!

If $.25 is considered good for a high traffic site like this one, then I think I'll have to use affiliate programs, and not Ad networks.

I probably won't be selling my ad space for a couple months, so I need some decent CPM ad networks until then. Through the Ad networks, I would be very lucky if I got a $1 CPM, yes?
    a $1 CPM is only $1K for a million impressions, that's still pretty low.
    A $.25 CPM would be $250 for a Million impressions, that's really low!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree, Yahoo advertising is very untargeted donchya think?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I guess you're right....
    So, do you think selling my ad space is a good idea?

Until I sell my ad space directly, what ad networks should I use?
    Please post
    • Network name/URL
    • CPM Rate (How much you actually get paid) If they have different rates for different sizes of sites, please post all the rates you know of and if possible the amount of impressions you have to get to be in each different bracket.
    • Your comments about them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its rare to find a CPM-exclusive network, and any that are pay pennies or cancel your account for "under performing".

IMO, BURST! (burstmedia.com) & FastClick (fastclick.com) look like the best networks. I haven't used either so I can't quote you rates, but then again it looks to be against their TOS to publicize the amount you receive.
    /* Chris Lambert - chris@php.net
    WhiteCrown Networks, CTO - Web Application Security
    vBulletin, Security Programmer - Instant Community
    */

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fastclick has great features, but bad ads IMO.

With burst I'm making roughly $1cpm on untargetted ads. Targetted are going to be for much more.

Yahoo does have very targetted advertising.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=army

Notice the banner ad, do you think that is a coincidence?

For most things it targets by what you search for.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! I never saw that before (I use Google, which also has a very neat way of targeting ads).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you're making a $1CPM and getting paid that, or you get 65% of a $1 CPM?

So, targeted ads would be much more? Any idea how much more, $1+, $.25+???

How do you place targeted ads? Do they decide what sections your site would be in? How does that work?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burst Info

Trulent,

First, let me state that I think Burst is one of the better ad networks available. However, it isn't an easy time to make decent income from advertising.

Burst provides both CPM and CPC ads that you can choose to run. This is great feature, so that you don't have to run cheap crud on your web property. However, they are not able to serve paid ads for all of your impressions. Their ads run on all pages that you insert their "ad code".

If Burst is able to sell targeted advertising for your site then you can make some reasonable income. However, some sites have been with Burst for a year or more without ever receiving targeted advertising.

I'm going to stay away from actual numbers as that would be a contract violation (I am using Burst for some web properties). However, if you made $X CPM on RON ads you'd probably make $4X or more on targeted ads.

Finally, the above "numbers" are in gross dollars. As your advertising agency Burst would take 30% to 50% of the gross revenue as their fee. The percentage is based on whether or not you let them be your exclusive representative or not and for how long. Given that CPC ads are almost never clicked and that CPM ads only show a few times your effective CPM can be quite low, perhaps $0.25X CPM.

The result, go ahead and give Burst a try, but don't go for the exclusive agreement at first. Give them a few months and see if they can sell any targeted ads for you. Either that or maybe you'll decide you like their pop-ups (not likely) and can make money that way. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Trulent
    So, you're making a $1CPM and getting paid that, or you get 65% of a $1 CPM?

So, targeted ads would be much more? Any idea how much more, $1+, $.25+???

How do you place targeted ads? Do they decide what sections your site would be in? How does that work?
    The opinions expressed are not necessarily my own...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPM ads only show a few times
    I thought I control how many times they're shown? If I had 500K Impressions on my site total each month, couldn't I show 500K impressions of CPM ads?

From what burstmedia and fastclick told me, It's not unique impressions...It's just impressions.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trulent yes Cpm is on impressions and not just uniques, but adnetworks optimize banner delivery to maximize clickthru rates, and minimize the amount of times that the same CPm ad is shown to the same person.
    Also there is not enough CPM inventory sold to cover all available impressions.

So frequency caps on ads coupled with a lack of CPM inventory leads to unsold inventory, defaults, lower paying CPC ads, or public service announcement ads.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...

I'm currently selling my own space, I'm selling for between $5 and $10 per 10,000 impressions just now (which I guess would be $0.5 - $1 :). I've only been 'back in the game' for a few weeks now and these prices seem not bad - networks on the other hand are definitely not worth it just now.

Last time I was doing this Burst were offering me my share of $9 CPM - *sob* if only my site was this popular back then :(

Jado.