User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Google Search Results - Up, Down & Around

Posted: Oct 24th

We all know that search engines are one of the biggest sources of website traffic. In total, Americans conducted between 3.0 and 3.5 billion searches a month in 2004 - the average search engine user conducts 32 searches a month (source: comScore qSearch).

It is critical to be ranked in the top 3 pages for a targetted keyword to even stand a chance of catching the potential visitor's attention, hence, the basis of SEO (Learn How).

Some webmasters have reported seeing their rankings on Google's search results go up and down and even disappear for a while, sometimes within the same day.

Personally, I have seen the rankings of some of my newer websites fluctuate on Google, sometimes within a matter of hours. My site, VistaUltimate.com, fluctuated between the 1st to over 100th ranking within 12 hours for the keyword "vista ultimate" (see screenshots)

This trend seems to repeat itself everyday - should I be worried about it? The answer is a simple "No". Using the experience on a former website, the rankings will stablize over time and there is a good chance that my website will stay at number 1 when it does.

Update (12th Nov): I'm happy to report that the rankings for VistaUltimate.com has now stabilized as expected. It is currently ranked:

#1 of 2,580,000 results for "vista ultimate"
    #2 of 2,030,000 results for "windows vista ultimate"
    #6 of 4,370,000 results for "windows vista gaming"
    #7 of 4,510,000 results for "windows vista tips"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't forget though that most of the times your website's ranking in the more stable fase is lower then your website's fresh boost rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people search for Vista Ultimate?
    Nearly 7 years old!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC
    How many people search for Vista Ultimate?
    Although Windows Vista won't launch until end-2006, these are my top 5 hits and the corresponding keyword search from search engines (1-16th Nov):

"windows vista ultimate edition" - 33

"windows vista ultimate" - 32

"vista beta 2" - 26

"vista ultimate" - 26

"vista bootscreen" - 18

Based on the first 20 search strings (out of 193), I've had 269 hits for the last 16 days - not too shabby for a yet to launch OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there really something callled vista ultimate edition? doesn't sound very windowsy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peach
    is there really something callled vista ultimate edition? doesn't sound very windowsy
    LOL! There will be 7 editions of Windows Vista and the most powerful edition will be named Windows Vista Ultimate.

Well, even "Vista" isn't conventional. MS used to gives names like XP, ME, 2000, 98, 95, 3.1, etc.