SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb How a Website Lost 90% of it's Value in 2 Months

The general considerations when buying a website are always the website's traffic and it's monthly earnings. Unfortunately, many buyers fail to ask for the referrer statistics. Here is a real-life example of how this one single factor reduced a website's value by 90%.

The website in question, is an unofficial fansite for one of the most recognizable soccer player in the world. It was listed for sale at the end of August and the seller asked for a minimum bid of $2,000. This seemed fair based on the site's traffic and earnings at the time:

Statistics
    - unique visitors: 22,000/month
    - pageviews: 80,000/month
    - Adsense earnings: $227/month

However, upon closer inspection of the Webalizer statistics, it was found that 78% of the page views came from search engines, and 93% of this came from Google Images.

The seller later revealed that the website was ranked number 1 on Google Images for the soccer player's name. This puts the site at a high risk because it meant that the site could possibly lose 70% of it's pageviews, and thus earnings, if it fell off the top spot.

Fortunately, nobody bought the fansite at that time.

Almost a month and a half later, the website was listed for sale again. It's ranking on Google Images had fallen from 1st to 88th position, causing it's unique visitors to drop to only 6,000/month. Adsense earnings also fell to about $40/month. The website was finally sold this time and for $200 - 90% off the original minimum bid price.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information, thanks Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe i know the site that you are talking about. it is for a player who recently switched teams
    LED Scroller Generator | Arcade Top List
    Myspace Layouts |
    Looking for quality Myspace link exchanges, PM for more info

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    caveat emptor

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I know this person (or even the site) you are talking about BUT if you are comparing ANYTHING from August of this year to today and you are not considering in the devastation of the Google Jagger update you are very much wrong.

Granted your point is well taken but again this Jagger update has turned the whole internet on its head. I know sites that have sat in the top 10 for years and for very good reasons that are now GONE from Google. Spammers have won a major victory on Google, for now. I do know Google is now running either Jagger2 or Jagger3 to try and fix some of the mistakes (and man are there some doozies)

Several of my sites were hit really hard by this last update too and I'm basically waiting around to see what happens when the dust clears (they are predicting December some time)

So again, your point is taken ... don't put all you eggs in one basket but also one most consider this mess from Google will straighten itself out! Right now is a HORRIBLE time to sell just about any website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Not that I know this person (or even the site) you are talking about BUT if you are comparing ANYTHING from August of this year to today and you are not considering in the devastation of the Google Jagger update you are very much wrong.

Granted your point is well taken but again this Jagger update has turned the whole internet on its head. I know sites that have sat in the top 10 for years and for very good reasons that are now GONE from Google. Spammers have won a major victory on Google, for now. I do know Google is now running either Jagger2 or Jagger3 to try and fix some of the mistakes (and man are there some doozies)

Several of my sites were hit really hard by this last update too and I'm basically waiting around to see what happens when the dust clears (they are predicting December some time)

So again, your point is taken ... don't put all you eggs in one basket but also one most consider this mess from Google will straighten itself out! Right now is a HORRIBLE time to sell just about any website.
    I've read people speculating Jagger 1 was meant to be short and sweet like it was, and basically put spam to the top so that it'd get reported. I don't know why they couldn't just run the Jagger 1 update internally and have employees report, but I guess that would be a pretty huge task.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a site that shows lots of 'Goolge (images)' in the logs (search engine referers). When I go to google and search for allinurl, I dont get anything. How can I find out what this traffic is? Is it still useful traffic?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing
    I have a site that shows lots of 'Goolge (images)' in the logs (search engine referers). When I go to google and search for allinurl, I dont get anything. How can I find out what this traffic is? Is it still useful traffic?
    Well I'm having the same problem ... my logs show a referrer but even 2 hours later when I check it I'm GONE! This has got to be one of the worst Google messes I've ever seen! I've checked keywords and the top 20 have NOTHING to do with the phrase... sorry to say it I think we are all going to have to wait this one out! Sucks but what choice do we have!

Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I've read people speculating Jagger 1 was meant to be short and sweet like it was, and basically put spam to the top so that it'd get reported. I don't know why they couldn't just run the Jagger 1 update internally and have employees report, but I guess that would be a pretty huge task.
    Well in my humble opinion this is the WORST mess Google has ever made, makes the Florida update look like a walk in the park! Personally I think if they don't fix this soon they could really get hurt by it! They have 50+ million results for a key phrase and 80% of them have nothing to do with it!

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Well in my humble opinion this is the WORST mess Google has ever made, makes the Florida update look like a walk in the park!
    So it hit you hard then?