SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shopping Cart Software????

Hi Guys, I am overwhelmed with all the shopping cart solutions out there. I thought I had one I liked but now I am not a huge fan. Here are some things I need, if anybody has any positive personal experience with any of solution that might help, please let me know.

Shipping- I need to create customized shipping options, canada through one carrier, us through another except for AK and Hawaii through a third,
    i also need to set up special shipping promitions, example (buy a case of a product get free shipping) I need to be able to change the promition monthly or sometimes weekly

Authorize.net- I need to be able to easily integrate with authorize.net

customization - I might need customization in the future. for example a page with all products listed with qty drop downs so a use can quickly add multiple items a cart on one page.
    or adding extra fields to an item description, will the company provide customizaiton, and if so, are there rates reasonable, and a quick turnaround.

template based- i need the cart to be template based so i can easily integrate it with my css/xhtml layout

any input would be great

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried oscommerce?
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaRosaDesign
    Have you tried oscommerce?
    I have heard mixed reviews about OS, I am looking at X-cart and Zen cart right now. I will let you guys know what I find out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've been using oscommerce for about a year on one site. I swear to god it is the hardest thing to template, and it's not very user friendly. It refuses to send out order e-mails, and half the time I wonder if it's even working. Out of 20,000 hits I've seen like 1 order.

Not used x-cart but it seems to be the better of the two. I think a big complaint with oscommerce is the lack of updates. I believe it's been like 2 years since they actually did anything to it.

I'm looking for something new as well. Oscommerce - ugg.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've been toying with Zen Cart. The striking thing is the usability. It's not easy for the plain old, non-internet savvy browser to go through your store and make a purchase.

Secondly, it's not easy to customize your layout unless you know your way around that kind of stuff. Beautiful Admin section with a whole lot of features.

They just need to get their act together on the front end.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    digishop would do some of that, but really fits the bill on scaleablity (future customizaitons) and support. The other solutions free offer no support and x-cart is out of russia.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith
    digishop would do some of that, but really fits the bill on scaleablity (future customizaitons) and support. The other solutions free offer no support and x-cart is out of russia.
    digishops custom development is a bit overpriced . Out of the box the shipping flexibility is not that great either, you can't designate zones, maybe in there new versions you can but the version i worked with did not offer this, and they only offer free upgrades to there newer versions for 30 days, other competitors offer this for a year or longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use ZENCART

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not too fond of ZenCart - I like X-Cart and LiteCommerce. They're made by the same folks and for the price you can't beat them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gery
    Use ZENCART
    Reason?