SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disgruntled forum member

I have a situation and need some opinion (not legal advice). I have a user at an automotive forum I own that was banned after creating a mess, verbally attacking other members and self promoting (which is strictly prohibited in the rules). He was banned immediately. After that he kept coming back registering new accounts. I was able to trace him and keep up banning every account he registered.

Today he sent me an email saying he will throw his lawyers at me because I keep banning his accounts even when he hasn't posted. He says he has a strong case against me and that I should talk to a lawyer so I can be surprised to know just how much he can get from me for allowing false acquisitions and vulgarity to be displayed on your forum. There was in fact vulgarity as a result of the war that emerged between him and some users, but it as deleted.

I beleive this is BS. He clearly violated at least 4 rules. Also there is a disclaimer when signing up where I reserve the right to ban anyone or delete any posts or accounts that may affect the stability of thr community.

Just want to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no legal scholar, but I feel his threats of lawyers is silly. It's your site. You have the right to allow whomever you want and to remove anyone who causes trouble.

My advise is to just ignore him and his threats He will eventually get tired of wasting his time and move onto someone else to hassel.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't reply to him, just keep deleting his accounts...

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed- Just keep deleting and DONT reply. The chances of him being able to prove any damages (let alone criminal wrongdoing) is low, and hopefully he'll get bored.

I've had users like that, and I think you have to 'wait them out'.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - you can probably sue him for making such threats.

If you use vBulletin, activate 'Tachy goes to coventry' - this will make him invisible to everyone but himself, it's a nice little feature that allows these idiots with no life to post whatever crap they want and no one ever knows about it.

PHPBB also have a mod that does similar although it's a little flakey and we ended up removing it.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    If you use vBulletin, activate 'Tachy goes to coventry' - this will make him invisible to everyone but himself, it's a nice little feature that allows these idiots with no life to post whatever crap they want and no one ever knows about it.
    That's awesome, it makes the looser waste their time, but noone sees it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was precisely my plan of action: ignoring the loser. He is trouble. When he got into the argument with another member he searched the web, found his home number and everything. Kept harassing him for a while.

Unfortunately I am running MyBB. Any idea if such a mod exists for it?

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    LOL - you can probably sue him for making such threats.

PHPBB also have a mod that does similar although it's a little flakey and we ended up removing it.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy is just plain bluffing ... ignore him and keep deleting the new usernames. There's no self respecting lawyer in the world that would touch this with a 10 foot pole and I'm pretty sure just about every judge would laugh this one out of court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my ex girlfriend...