SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Office Rental Company Ripped Us Off

Over the summer me and a friend rented an office and made the mistake of not making sure what one of the terms actually involved. The term was :

On the expiration or sooner determination of this agreement the client will enter a cont@ct agreement with the licensor in accordance with the standard terms of the licensors contract for those facilitiesand further will sign a standing order form relating to the service with effect the payment will be made on the monthly anniversary of the expiry or other determination of the agreement

According to the company we rented the office from this forces us to pay a sum of approximatley $200 a month for just the privalage of having all our mail forwarded to our new address. Does that sound legally binding ? (UK law that is). How can signing one contract bind you to a secondary contract you have never seen nor read the terms and conditions of?. Something dont seem right to me. I may ask legal advice however thats gonna cost me $200 for just a quick conversation and I dont fancy wasting any more cash on this matter at this point.

Any input on this issue would be much appreciated.

At this point we are most lilkely going to take them to the small claims court because they have been such assh*oles over this that i dont want them to win and having to pay them this money would feal like defeat.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the expiration or sooner determination of this agreement the client will enter a cont@ct agreement with the licensor in accordance with the standard terms of the licensors contract for those facilitiesand further will sign a standing order form relating to the service with effect the payment will be made on the monthly anniversary of the expiry or other determination of the agreement
    Wow - talk about legal mumbojumbo. I have NO idea what that paragraph says, but did they provide you with the "standard terms" that this paragraph mentions? I'm guessing this is where their hidden clause about mail delivery lies?

I can't comment on whether this is legal or not, but it sure doesn't sound right and it's probably worth getting a lawyer involved if it could cost you 200 a month for a while.

How does your postal system work in the UK? Can't you just file a change of address with them and have mail forwarded to your new location?
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns

How does your postal system work in the UK? Can't you just file a change of address with them and have mail forwarded to your new location?
    Yep, costs around 70 for 12 months redirection.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys thanks for the feedback the problem is they still have our deposit for the office. $1000 and are planning on taking the $200 a month for 3 months from this. And other than taking them to the small claims court we dont know what to do. From a legal point of view they cant be correct because I havnt even seen the second contract im meant to have agreed to, let alone read its terms and conditions.

Does anyone know for sure if its illegal to do what they have done, binded us to a second contract (we havnt even seen let alone signed) by signing a first.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the legalities are, but I know there's plenty of agreements I've signed where it said 'By signing this, you are agreeing to our Terms (available upon request). ' - e.g, last time I placed a Yellow Pages ad (and if I'd have read those terms I would have found out they were going to sell my details to every marketing list in the country).

Still, it sounds suspect - I assume you have a copy of the contract? Maybe take it to the local Citizen Advice centre - my local one has a legal morning each Friday where a solicitor gives free legal advice. I doubt any clause can be binding if its not specifically listed in the contract, but then again, this is legal stuff and I'm not a lawyer.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey shadowbox, ive checked for something like by signing this i agree to the terms and conditions, nothing like that is in the contract.

SitePoint Enthusiast Javier Cabrera's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a lawyer. I know I know... but that is the best way to deal with the problem. Couple of years ago I signed a contract like that too, but it was at work. I almost kill myself when I find out I had to do what I didn't sign, but I actually did sign.

On the next contract you sign, go with your lawyer. You will find one, some family friend, a cousin who is going to law school, some way on the shopping mall, a $5 dollars lawyer. Just tell him (and leave it clear) that if you get into troubles you aren't going to use his services, his work is just redaing contracts and make sure nobody ripps you off.
    CLEAR YOUR MIND WEBLOG
    Management, productivity and marketing for entrepreneurs

You're a developer? then you're going to love this blog!
    GET MORE OF YOUR DAY!