SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying they're wandering around aimlessly, I'm saying they get a new idea, get it 'out there' as quick as they can, develop it a little further for a while and then have another new idea.

With a factory full of phd's working on 'exciting new changing-the-internet stuff', working on the years old projects must be akin to latrine duty.

Most of their services in beta + the steady stream of new services being released supports that theory.

I don't think most of the services I listed should even be beta anymore ... surviving years of 'testing' by millions of people daily is a good indication that the services are stable enough to 'launch' ... although that would be something of an anticlimax (Are you sure you want to overwrite logo.gif?) for most of their services.

asp_funda - I think people using gmail for the last year would be just as annoyed if it vanished today as users of hotmail/yahoo mail would be if they got axed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benlowry
    I'm not saying they're wandering around aimlessly
    Ok, then I revise my previous statement.

I think they are wandering around aimlessly.

Someone needs to hold that belief.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol so you think it's unfair that you think they're wandering around aimlessly? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody want to give me their GA account for $10?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol so you think it's unfair that you think they're wandering around aimlessly? :P
    Unfair? Nah, it's their company.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a GA account oh so badly

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I don't think most of the services I listed should even be beta anymore ... surviving years of 'testing' by millions of people daily is a good indication that the services are stable enough to 'launch' ... although that would be something of an anticlimax (Are you sure you want to overwrite logo.gif?) for most of their services.
    I

asp_funda - I think people using gmail for the last year would be just as annoyed if it vanished today as users of hotmail/yahoo mail would be if they got axed.
    I'm not talking about vanished services or fly-by-night operators. what I meant was that sometimes due to technical glitches, the server(s) go down or the service becomes inaccessible for a few minutes to few hours.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it seems like Google is slowly returning Analytics to full functionality.

There is a link on their homepage to a progress page.

I can now add new websites to my account.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001z71
    Well it seems like Google is slowly returning Analytics to full functionality.

There is a link on their homepage to a progress page.

I can now add new websites to my account.
    Hmmm, I still can't add any new websites to my account. Must be a selective process.

I wish they'd give you raw IP logs!

I'm running both Google Analytics and Statcounter.com free counter (only logs last 100 hits) for comparison purposes and I can honestly say that the Statcounter service is superior to Google Analytics.

It's not like Google to offer a less-than-stellar service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you elaborate on that, cheesedude?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude
    Hmmm, I still can't add any new websites to my account. Must be a selective process.

I wish they'd give you raw IP logs!

I'm running both Google Analytics and Statcounter.com free counter (only logs last 100 hits) for comparison purposes and I can honestly say that the Statcounter service is superior to Google Analytics.

It's not like Google to offer a less-than-stellar service.
    I can't agree with you calling StatCounter superior to Google Analytics in the same sentence as saying only 100 hits get logged. For most SP regulars that's probably less than an hour of traffic... and both services are free...

Yes, re-enabling the "add profile" button is being done as a rolling process, so some people are able to do it while others still can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReflex
    Upon adding their JavaScript to the shopping cart header (used on all cart process pages) I realized that it was calling a non-secure page ... resulting in the "some data is not secure" message. This is definitely not something you want your visitors to see since the security conscious ones will think their data is compromised and abort the order process.

So my next thought was, I wonder if they have an SSL set up. So, I tried changing the reference from http to https and tried loading the file directly. Sure enough, it worked! Alright, so back to the code. Adding in the new secure link to the cart header I went through the process again, loading the first secure page. Bingo, there was the lock!

Unfortunately, there was also another message, stating that the digital certificate didn't match (certificate was registered for www.google.com, not www.google-analytics.com). Same as the unsecure data message, this mis-match of certificates (especially since it's a Google certificate and your site is obviously not Google) may turn some visitors away mid-checkout.
    Here is the solution:

HTTP pages
    HTML Code:
    <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
    HTTPS pages
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
    Official answer from Google:
    http://www.google.com/support/analyt...600&topic=2944

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I have added Google Analytics to my site and was expecting to see some results. The interesting thing I noted is that Google Analytics shows that my site gets about 8K readers a day while Urchine installed internally on the server shows that I get about 18K readers per day on average.

The amount of readers I'm getting corresponds well with the 18K average and I've jumped from 15K readers from a couple of months ago to 18K readers now and the revenue has jumped as well.

I really don't think that I'm making what I'm with only 8K readers.

Can someone tell me which stats program is right?

Edit: And if Google Analytics is doing something to block some IPs such as Crawlers than I would suspect that traffic from other big publishers like BusinessWeek, CNET, PCWorld.com etc. must be seriously down as well.

Edit 2: By the way, here's another reason why I think Google Analytics is wrong. According to Google Analytics, my site got 16K page views yesterday, but according to Google Adsense, I got 35K (which means my overall page views are much higher). So there's definitely something wrong with Google Analytics on my site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using the utm.js on your internal Urchin installation? If so, then you'll probably fond there is some kind of conflict.

I switched some of my sites from local Urchin to GA and the stats match. I diid however, remove the utm code before adding the GA code..

Quote Originally Posted by hardwarenewbie
    Alright, I have added Google Analytics to my site and was expecting to see some results. The interesting thing I noted is that Google Analytics shows that my site gets about 8K readers a day while Urchine installed internally on the server shows that I get about 18K readers per day on average.

The amount of readers I'm getting corresponds well with the 18K average and I've jumped from 15K readers from a couple of months ago to 18K readers now and the revenue has jumped as well.

I really don't think that I'm making what I'm with only 8K readers.

Can someone tell me which stats program is right?

Edit: And if Google Analytics is doing something to block some IPs such as Crawlers than I would suspect that traffic from other big publishers like BusinessWeek, CNET, PCWorld.com etc. must be seriously down as well.

Edit 2: By the way, here's another reason why I think Google Analytics is wrong. According to Google Analytics, my site got 16K page views yesterday, but according to Google Adsense, I got 35K (which means my overall page views are much higher). So there's definitely something wrong with Google Analytics on my site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not exactly sure about the file you mentioned, but there's gotta be some conflict. Obviously, my site can't get 16K page views and get 35K Google Adsense views. That's not possible.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !
    Last edited by DaveB2; Jan 14, 2007 at 18:03.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run both Urchin and Google Analytics and they're always within 1% of each other. I'm not too surprised since they're based off of the same piece of software. Sounds like something is messed up for you somewhere.

Owen

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, like paulj suggested, maybe the scripts are doing something funky. Clearly, there shouldn't be a difference since both services are using Urchin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like they are not accepting new accounts now :-(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a feeling it's going to be quite a few more weeks before they allow new registrations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, even the reports are still coming in slow.
    I think this is something I will look into month end rather than daily.

Nice printable charts too. Something you can analyse by the pool

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The software looks great, but it doesn't record stats properly for me. I've emailed Google, but it seems that I'm going to have to keep using AWStats.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have also some problems with google analytics. statcounter reports say that a specific few paged website had 37 unique visitors with 74 pageviews whereas google analytics say it had 27 unique and 55 pageviews...
    have not decided whom to beilive yet
    hello everyone!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvirs
    i have also some problems with google analytics. statcounter reports say that a specific few paged website had 37 unique visitors with 74 pageviews whereas google analytics say it had 27 unique and 55 pageviews...
    have not decided whom to beilive yet
    I just requested an google analytics account. How long do you think it is going to take?

Does anyone know a way to direct traffic to your site for free?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint has an entire forum dedicated to promotion techniques. Invitations can still take a few weeks last I heard, hopefully you get yours soon

As for the 5 month old post you replied to, I tested this pretty extensively, and am absolutely convinced Google Analytics undercounts both unique visitors and pageviews. Not only is their tracking code entirely JavaScript based (no NOSCRIPT portion) -- meaning they don't even bother counting visitors with JS disabled or browsers that don't support JS -- but the code often loads so slow that it isn't loaded before someone leaves the page and thus counts no visit.