User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Payments by Online or Mail?

Hello Everyone,

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I was wondering if clients prefer to pay over the internet or by mail? I'm a web designer and I want to find more solutions than depending on paypal because I don't want to use paypal at all as I hate them.

I recently bought a 2checkout account, signed up for moneybookers but I'm wanting to know if I should also let my clients mail a check? I'm wanting to go with that but don't know if they like it or not, do any of you get clients who like going the route of mailing a check? I believe the check would reach my house within 5 business days which isn't bad at all. Let me know your input please, keep in mind I'm not using paypal anymore.

Thanks!
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have accepted checks for years. Not everyone is comfortable with online transactions. In that time, we've only had a handful of bounced checks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My clients pay by cheque or electronic transfer, never had a problem. I can also accept credit cards through my merchant account, but prefer not to because of the charges (can be pretty hefy on a 10,000 project), so reserve that for my ecommerce sites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to pay by either cheque or wired transfer.
    In the market to purchase some sites....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I setup a wired transfer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely offer sending a check as an option to your customers. Many don't like putting their information online. There is also the fact that many businesses want the paper trail for payment and prefer to write a check for everything (ie. not paying for much by credit card).

One note, make sure the check clears before doing anything (like sending files). Even though you have the check, if it bounces, you'll be stuck with the fees and be out whatever you gave them. If your client has an issue waiting for it to clear, you can also accept a cashier's check. This is beneficial because to create a cashier's check, the funds are verified and removed already (thus there's no question as to whether there is sufficient funds or not).
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    Where can I setup a wired transfer?
    Scott,

Talk to your bank where you have your business account about receiving wire transfers and they'll tell you the info you need to give to your clients so they can wire money from their bank.

Keep in mind that it's usually going to cost your client something to send the wire to you ($10 - $30 probably) and it may cost you something to receive a wire transfer...but most banks that I've dealt with have never charged to receive money.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve, I'll def. be giving them a call next Monday.