User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting together a Web Team

Hi

I'm looking to expand the web team at my company. We own backpacker's hostels and bars across Europe and want to be more focused on the web. Please can someone suggest some ideas of staffing/job positions that I will need to do this properly.

The activities we will be focusing on are:
    - Project Management
    - Search Engine Improvement for rankings
    - Weekly and monthly newsletters
    - Online sales & marketing

We also want to add lots more helpful/useful content because our current web site is simple.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your current team consist of? How many websites do you have that need to be designed/updated? An entire web team can be an expensive investment - especially when you don't know a lot about the field. It will be even harder for you to interview and hire the right people.

Have you thought of oursourcing the web development to a web development firm?

If you have several properties that all have websites and can keep an entire team busy, below are the people I would hire (most important on top):

Most imporant if you don't know what you need or have experience in the web development industry would be a manager who has experience managing web teams. That would be absolutely critical to the team's success.

1) Web Designer/Developer with experience building standards compliant designs. Someone who can design visually compelling designs and also code them in XHTML and CSS.

2) Web Programmer with experience in either PHP/MySQL or .NET/SQL and JavaScript/AJAX would be a plus. They would be valuable to you in many ways - most importantly they would be able to write online applications or customize current applications to better suit your needs.

3) SEO Consultant - the designer/developer may also know a lot about SEO, so this position may not be neccesary.

4) Copywriter to write content for the website.

That's 5 people... and a hefty budget for salaries. Depending on how many sites you have, and what you want to accomplish (and how fast) you might be better off just outsourcing to a reputable firm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree it would be better to outsource and pay per project and not hire full time
    LED Scroller Generator | Arcade Top List
    Myspace Layouts |
    Looking for quality Myspace link exchanges, PM for more info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely.
    I was backpacking around Asia and Europe and I paid a lot of my way doing websites and SEO work for hostels I was staying in. Youd be surprised at the brains us filthy vagabonds actually have in real life

Outsourcing is the way to go unless it is a booking system. In that case, I hostelworld have a really amazing software system and it is VERY powerful. I have had the chance to work with it and I would definitely reccomend it.

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback. Am just starting to get into the "Web Stuff" and am amazed at the sense of community and how everyone helps each other out - you're like the Cyber-Armish

We have about 9/10 really simple web pages at the moment, but could probably consolidate those down into, say... 7/8.

We are looking to add content to our web sites everyday or failing that, every 2/3 day. Won't it be too expensive to out-source to a wev dev company?

Regarding the online bookings, we have already heard great things about Hostelworld. Thanks for the added confirmation!

I've also heard mixed things about content management programmes. I did some searches in goggle and there seem to be so many! Any suggestions of which one I should look at?

Thanks very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Why don't you post your exact requirements here? We may be able to advise better.
    Drop me a mail, I may be interested in taking on some fresh portfolio work (Which means next to nothing).