SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

How Much Money?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you market your site?

After reading the post on how many unique visitors you get per day, i am think i must be not doing something very important.

Could you please tell me your most sucsessful methods of marketing.

<edit>

Thankyou.

<advisor edit: Business should be conducted in private. Thankyou>
    Last edited by mmj; Aug 19, 2001 at 07:13.
    AutomatedLinks.com
    Boost your search engine ranking, by increasing your link Popularity,
    Dynamically.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The marketing of your website greatly depends on what kind of website you have. Is it an e-Commerce store? A website for a local business? An online service? A free content site? A pay content site? As you can see, there are many different kinds of websites. Each warrants a different marketing tactic.

Please respond with some information about your website and I'll whip up a few ideas for you to try. I'll need to know your web address, existing traffic, amount of newsletter subscribers, and any information about marketing tactics you have already tried.

I recommend that you check out the link in my signature file called "Promotion Resources". This will point you to several websites and newsletters that cover marketing and promotion. Check each link out and read the articles, be sure to join any newsletter you find.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a budget? Pockets flowing in rich and money? Or poor, like most of us?

This also determines what you should try. If you have money, try buying some newsletter ads, or using some offline promotion (pencils, bookmarks, etc). If you don't have money, use link exchanges, word of mouth, and partnerships.

Good luck!
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HyperBaseball
    Do you have a budget? Pockets flowing in rich and money? Or poor, like most of us?

This also determines what you should try. If you have money, try buying some newsletter ads, or using some offline promotion (pencils, bookmarks, etc). If you don't have money, use link exchanges, word of mouth, and partnerships.
    Buying newsletter ads isn't always the smartest move, even if you do have money to burn. But I do agree with the offline promotion, if the nature of the website warrants it.

Link exchanges are usually a good idea, but again, not always. Word of mouth is great regardless of the website, but generating word of mouth is a different story.

How Much Money?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have very limited cash but if it would be worth my while i could allways streach my budget past 0, also i would prefer to put hard work in rather than money.

My website is http://www.mail-benefit.com

I would also appreciate any pointers in general about my site (constructive critisism only please)

Thanks
    AutomatedLinks.com
    Boost your search engine ranking, by increasing your link Popularity,
    Dynamically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't over look off line advertising as well. Even just handing out business cards help.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack, sorry to have taken so long to respond to your message M.J.

Anyway, here goes:
    First off, I'm not a fan of "entry pages". Your first page should tell me something about your website (what it does, mission statements, etc).

For promotion, I recommend that you work a lot with the search engines (this is where the hard work you mentioned comes into play.) Create a few keyword rich pages, specifically your main page. Then submit to the major search engines. Try to scrap together some money and do the Express submission at Yahoo (you'll be reviewed within a week). Another paid submission to consider is LookSmart, they cover a lot of territory.

An absolute must: have some business cards printed up and pass them around. Give several to your friends and family and ask them to pass your cards along to business owners and potential clients.

Have you written your own press release? I'm guessing you have.

Approach other small businesses in your locale and tell them of your services. Follow up by mailing them some literature about your services (receive permission first). And finally, follow up the mailing with a phone call (maybe a week later). Ask them if they received your information fine and if they have any questions. Do not be afraid to cold call.

I'll reply later with more ideas and suggestions. If you have any other questions, feel free to post or send me a PM. And finally, good luck with your venture!

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M.J.,

I know your question was asking what you can do to promote your website/business. But now I'm going to tell you what you shouldn't do.

Don't spam. Don't spam by email, message boards, FFA, or by any other means. It will damage your reputation and destroy any credibility you may have. On top of that, you could very easily be banned by your ISP, as many are cracking down on spammers.

There are plenty of ways to successfully promote your website. Spam isn't one of them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have affiliate program and so i get the most traffic.
    Plus i use goto.com and pay for ads.
    Join NYC BOY's affiliate program -No minimum requirement for commission payouts!