SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intranet Policies

For our corporate intranet I have been asked for all user to be restricted to the intranet unless and internet policy is agreed to.

To do this I have set the browsers home page to intranet.mycompany.co.uk in the user profiles.

To do this I have a main page with a hidden frame. When the frame event onUnload is activated, a child frame is spawned to check if the page was closed or the address has changed. If the site is left I wanted the child window to redirect the parent window to a policy agreement page, where there details are saved in a database.

At the moment the child window cannot change the parent window. I have tried many different idea's to fix this and all end in the same result.

Is this a known problem, am I asking something of javascript that cannot be done?

Thanks
    Steven Simpson

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look for something to address this at a higher level on your network. You are going to run into trouble trying to enforce policy at the brower level at each user's workstation. What if the users disable JavaScript or install a different browser (assuming they have those privs on their workstation)? What happens during the next browser or OS upgrade?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The system is quite well locked down, the users themselves aren't allowed to modify any setting on the PC, and just 2 months ago the entire network was upgraded to windows XP. But thanks for the commments and I'll investigate some software.