SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Development client won't pay

I have a client who keeps promising me that his invoice will be paid but yet I don't get paid

The invoice is now over 3 months old.

I still have access to his server including the database. Is it reasonable that I take down the sections of the site that I developed since he won't pay?

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually no, even though I have been tempted MANY a time. To do that would open you up to possible civil action (depending on where you and they are) ..

Sorry to tell you this but you're probably going to have to go the hard route and file suit to get your money. I'd first send out a registered letter telling them they have to pay the bill prior to a certain date or you will be forced to file suit.. then follow that up with a letter from an attorney (if possible) .... normally that will get things paid but of not it's off to court!

Wish I had better news

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Actually no, even though I have been tempted MANY a time. To do that would open you up to possible civil action (depending on where you and they are) ..
    That's right. Having access is not the same as having authority. If you were his hosting provider, and you had stipulated this in your contract, that'd be a different story.

This is a good example of why you should collect final payment before releasing the project or installing it on another server, especially with first-time clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johntabita
    That's right. Having access is not the same as having authority. If you were his hosting provider, and you had stipulated this in your contract, that'd be a different story.

This is a good example of why you should collect final payment before releasing the project or installing it on another server, especially with first-time clients.
    Thats why I will not installed untill final payment and I also have it in my contract that qafter a specified time period of an overdue balance, I have the right to pull the website. Lastly, the verbiage in my contract says I own ALL copyrights to the software or website untill the final apyment is made, then the copyright would be transferred.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like DC stated, your best route would be sending a certified letter to them (which verifies they were notified), followed by a letter from your attorney. Sometimes a client needs that drastic move to actually write out the check. Just by sending a letter from yourself asking for payment doesn't instill much reason to pay.

This is also why you chalk this up to a learning experience. By delivering files before you received payment, you gave up your only leverage you really had. If they are receiving the benefits of the site right now, what is the risk in not sending payment? Threaten legal action if it's not remedied soon and, of course, follow through with it. Hopefully the certified letter will be enough.

Good luck!
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say if you still have access pull it all now, if you warn them they will change passwords etc & you will have no leverage ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and thank you for that!

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is up and running at the moment send a letter to the hosting company explaining that you are the copyright holder of the site in question.

Assuming you have a valid contract, copyright doesn't leave your hands until you are paid for the work.