SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Terms of Use

  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Terms of Use

    I have a question about the "Terms of Use", "Terms of Condition" pages on websites.

    I'm starting a humor site. It will be all unique content or content that I have rights to. Someone suggested I take a "terms of use" from any exsisting humore website and just modify to what I need. I guess that meant to change the name of the website to mine. But for some reason this didn't seem like the right thing to do. So my question is: How/where/ can I get a 'terms of use for my website? Do I need to talk to a lawyer? Do I write one myself and have a lawyer look it over?

    The same goes for the "disclaimer" and "privacy policy". Thank you all.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dangit, I thought for sure somebody would help me. Come on, someone has to know the answer to this. Thanks.

    Is double posting prohibited here? Sorry if it is.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast BP2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be right if you simply take a few policies from here and there and put together your own.

    Goodluck!

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BP2000
    You should be right if you simply take a few policies from here and there and put together your own.

    Goodluck!
    Really? Or are you being sarcastic?

    Sorry, I guess I'm a little paranoid. I guess that's why I'm getting permission for all the content I'm going to be hosting. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There are terms of use templates on some sites and there really is no fault in reading through something similar to what you need and customizing that information for your own site.

    Some clauses, like indemnity are quite legal and face it-- the ways to say it are quite limited.

    However, don't take the shortcut of copy and paste. Although TOU pages are seldom read from beginning to end, there is always the off chance that the one problem you have with an end-user won't be documented in yours if you don't take the time to put in all the relevant content you feel your site needs. In addition, you'll look like a ninny if you have some things included that aren't relevant.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  6. #6
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    There are terms of use templates on some sites and there really is no fault in reading through something similar to what you need and customizing that information for your own site.

    Some clauses, like indemnity are quite legal and face it-- the ways to say it are quite limited.

    However, don't take the shortcut of copy and paste. Although TOU pages are seldom read from beginning to end, there is always the off chance that the one problem you have with an end-user won't be documented in yours if you don't take the time to put in all the relevant content you feel your site needs. In addition, you'll look like a ninny if you have some things included that aren't relevant.
    Thanks shyflower. I've read through many of them from beginning to end, YIKES. Yes you're right there's some stuff that I'd need to add/remove/modify for my own site(s). So thank you very much to both of you who responded.

    EDIT: What's a ninny?

    Also, I'm guessing this applies to other pages like Disclaimer and Privacy Policy? Thanks once again.

  7. #7
    Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Winona, MN USA
    Posts
    10,054
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A ninny is defined as a fool, a simpleton, a nincompoop.

    Yes, I believe the same would apply.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    A ninny is defined as a fool, a simpleton, a nincompoop.

    Yes, I believe the same would apply.
    Thanks for your help. You're great.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •