SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you dev for rails? What IDE, etc.

Hi,

I have gotten really into rails the past couple months and thanks to rails im already about 15% through converting a php web application that took 2 months to create, but only about 4 days so far in rails!! wow! But I want some advice on how to dev for ruby.

Currently I use an FTP program known as Webdrive which integrates into windows shell, making your FTP site an external drive. That is great, I have no complaints really. But I use notepad for my "IDE" (hahaha). I was wondering what IDE you use?

Also, if there is an IDE that can post directly to the web via FTP, then I can get rid of webdrive and that'd be great If not, just a file explorer would be nice.

Thanks

Also, im obviously using Windows (XP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My focus has also been on eliminating the number of tools I must have open at any one time.

RadRails (www.radrails.org) has integrated the various command line tools used in Rails development, and includes the Eclipse database plugin enabling you to work with your data store without an external program.

So, instead of opening IDE, SQLYog (or other) and a terminal window, you just open RadRails.

Also, RadRails is being developed at a very rapid pace, and is really shaping up into a nice tool for the various components of a Rails application - Ruby files, html and CSS.

I have also been impressed by the Ruby plugin for jEdit. Has integrated docs, which saved me one day when my internet connection was down. But I can't stand the look and feel of Swing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RadRails and jEdit have been my main development tools so far on Windows XP and Linux, because as RyaninZion said I don't want to have an FTP program + a database manager + an IDE/editor + terminal windows open just to work on a web app.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RadRails + SVN or else VIM if I'm just doing some quick edits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vgarcia,

You mentioned not wanting to have an FTP program open. My jEdit ftp plugin seems to have stopped working after installing the latest version of the Ruby plugin. Is yours still working OK?

Also, there is no way to ftp or otherwise upload using RadRails, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyaninZion
    vgarcia,

You mentioned not wanting to have an FTP program open. My jEdit ftp plugin seems to have stopped working after installing the latest version of the Ruby plugin. Is yours still working OK?

Most of my Rails development has been on localhost so I haven't had much use for FTP honestly, but as far as I know, no you can't FTP directly from RadRails (although maybe you could set up an FTP connection as a mapped drive or network place in Windows Explorer and deploy to that).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyaninZion
    You can upload via SVN from inside RadRails, but you would still need to 'svn update' on your server (unless you are doing automation).

There is an eclipse plugin: eclipse-webdav-ftp that, in theory, would allow you to do this, but as far as I know it was written for eclipse 3.0 and never updated to 3.1 (which RadRails is based on). There doesn't seem to be any interest in updating it among eclipse plugin developers, I assume most of whom are using version control instead.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I checked out both jEdit and RadRails (downloaded and installed both) and I really enjoy RadRails I am using that now. I am also deving on my localhost since RadRails generates a WeBRick server for you hahah. I just installed mySQL quickly and im up and going

Thank you!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Komodo 3.5 is out and has support for rails, rhtml and also rails/ruby debugging. Also ArachnoRuby is a great ruby/rails IDE

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmobius1
    Komodo 3.5 is out and has support for rails, rhtml and also rails/ruby debugging. Also ArachnoRuby is a great ruby/rails IDE
    Does Komodo support Windows?
    Also, that costs money, but if you're willing to dish it out, im sure its good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Komodo is nice, but I found it to have a few "niggles." For instance, Komodo doesn't, at least for now, truly support rhtml syntax highlighting. You can cause eRuby code to be highlighted using the html settings, but its a work-around, not native behavior. And it will all be highlighted one color.

Also, going back to my original premise, if you use Komodo you will have to also open a terminal window and a database manager program.

And, of course, it is not free. To me, Komodo doesn't seem to bring anything extra to the table over RadRails or jEdit to justify spending money on it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use RDT with this: http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

That is much better than RadRails in my opinion.