SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I have a CSS navbar and JavaScript drop-down menus?

I hope the subject is clear enough. I have a CSS/XHTML/ul/li navbar (http://www.jmfloorcovering.com/test/...eader_nav.html) that will work fine if a visitor has JavaScript turned off. Now I would like to add drop-down menu items (sub-menus) that are JavaScript that will not effect the original navbar, but add functionality and style to it if the visitor has JavaScript enabled.

What got me excited was the drop-downs I saw here: http://www.brothersinart.com/ I think many will agree that the smooth motion, elegant style and slight transparency is really top notch.

Is this possible? I have never written a single line of JavaScript code, but I am determined to have that kind of drop-down on my flooring site (and I may use it on a couple other sites if appropriate). Any advice?

Thanks,

Grump

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Kravvitz. I had seen just about all of those links before and even used a couple to help me through coding the navbar I have now. However, my attraction to the JavaScript menu I linked to was for reasons you can't always accomplish with CSS -- smooth and fluid motion being the most noteworthy.

I like that the navbar is now CSS, but I want to ADD the JavaScript to only the drop-down menus. Is that possible? Where can I get instructions to do that? Or maybe there is a ready made script for it?

Thanks again,

Grump

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you really do want the gradual opening of the sub-menus.

I don't know of any tutorials. The big thing you need is setTimeout() or setInterval().

There are lots of scripts that do that kind of thing, though many of them are not very well written.

You could also hire me to write it for you.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a portfolio or examples of your work? You can PM me if you're serious, but let's keep this thread on-topic in case others have comments.

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the link to the site with all the code for the trans-menus. Its well docuemented...but pretty freak'n huge...32k! It's all open source or whatever, but there are a ton of disclaimers so just make sure to give credit where credit is due.

Trans-Menus

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I've just worked through these myself now...they're pretty cool except for..
    yay the positioning is messed up in opera (mine is 8.5) if someone can come up with a hack or fix or whatever to get the rollover at least placed mostly reasonable in Opera that would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is the menu I was referring to. BrothersInArt used the menu with custom colors, etc. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the link.

Grump

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)