User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "is better than nothing" ...

When you are thirsty, is doing a rain-dance "better than nothing"??

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way off somewhere in lalal land your are lol..........

Regardless I do have some good news for those interested. I told my grandad about my idea and even though he has bills of his own, said I could have $300 for the patent fee. Now I have got to find enough to pay a lawyer to file it for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709
    Actually as we have stated time and time and time again in this thread, a poor man's copyright is equal to exactly nothing so you won't have something better than nothing, you will have exactly nothing.

Anyway, there is no harm to doing it (you're just wasting a few dollars on postage) so go ahead, just don't expect it to be worth anything if you ever do get sued or have to sue.
    Absolutley. In fact - I put the same post down many times in forums about this topic. You CANNOT afford to believe that the poor mans copyright works. IF you've not researched it already - this site called poor mans copyright gives very good reasons why you shouldnt trust it.

ALWAYS go the pro route. Cheaper is not always better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True I totally agree with the last sentance. Only i do say something is better than nothing.

Ok another question. I understand a Patent Agent and a Patent Lawyer both have to pass the same exams to beome either. If this is the case what do you guys recomend. so far ive discovered that patent laywer fees will be around $5,000 and and Agent around $1,000.

I need all the pros and cons with either situations. Any advice input on what I may not have thought of.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docquesting
    True I totally agree with the last sentance. Only i do say something is better than nothing.
    Well hopefully the other people who read this thread understood the point we were all making.

*Throws his hands up and leaves the thread*

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told my grandad about my idea
    You might want to keep an eye on ol' grandad - he might steal your idea while your fussing about with postage stamps and patent lawyers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must not trust your family very much or you would not have made that statement. I feel sorry for you.

Well I am trying to get an idea what patent fees are going to be and figuring out how to approach those I know of who has lots of money. I know that upfront I will need upwards of !0k. Thats to get a patent lawyer and that part done and to buy equipment I need to produce an example of the product.

I talked to one other person and they said I should get a cpa to draw up a bullet proof business plan once I am patented. This way I will be able to approach those better that have money. Basically for the 10K I should be able to get a patent a bullet proof business plan and also an example product put together myself.

Any other suggestions on top of what I have mentioned so far are appreciated. I need all of those that havent been discussed yet.

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must not trust your family very much or you would not have made that statement. I feel sorry for you.
    Apparently he's not getting the point nor the humor.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johntabita
    Apparently he's not getting the point nor the humor.
    LOL, apparently not...!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your signature line says your are from GA.

They have a wonderful program with the Small Business Administration and the University of GA. Its called the University of Georgia Small Business Development Center and there are locations all over the state. Think SCORE, SBA, and UGA all wrapped into one. I have only spoken with the folks at the Gainsville office (very nice, quite helpful, and quick to send information). They offer all kinds of counseling to small businesses and I seem to remember they dealt some with this - or at least they could point you in a good direction.

Good luck!