SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Wire transfer of my money from RentACoder is missing for almost a month now!

Hi All,
    although I follow this forum regularly, I never posted anything ever before...but, I have a peculiar problem and I thought I might get some help here...although I posted this message on an older thread...I thought a new one might be better.

I work regularly with RentACoder and had been more or less thoroughly satisfied with them(despite a few issues like arbitration some times seems to be a bit biased towards buyers)... but this time around I am facing a problem that I can't say who's responsible for. For my month's work on RAC I was supposed to receive my accumulated fee of $4882.5 on 5th October....RAC indeed sent me a mail on the 5th that the money was wired to my account.But till this day...I have not received a penny.

I don't know how a wire can take almost a month. This account identification that they used this october is the same they used the previous month...although the funds reached me in 15 days that time.

I am in India, so I contacted my local bank but the receiving bank can't help...so I requested RAC for a wire trace through the remitting bank Bank of America....say said they have requested Bank of America to start the trace(that was last Friday).

My concern is, sitting here it's impossible to know what actually is hapenning behind the scenes... even if it's due to the more so evident lack of performance in our banks...I'll need some solid proof to take action against them...but what if it's happening across the oceans?

Anybody ever faced anything like that before? And also the Gurus over here,guys throw some light on this, please...

neel

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have nothing to worry about if they can provide an active trace for your $5K. It's not a few dollars, it's in the thousands and they would have something in place to track their financials.

Just call Julia Robertson and she'll help you out. Advise if they do not take proper action towards your $5k then you will have to take further action.

However, I'd seriously give them a call ASAP and get to the bottom of where you money has gone. Maybe some other guy in the world magically had $5k depositted into their account on your behalf. You never know. Heck, RAC wouldn't know either if that person didn't complain. To him and RAC, it's a done deal so to speak. You need to call them ASAP; but be very polite. You'll get better results that way.

For this amount of cake, you seriously need to discuss the fine details of all actions from the staff. If they give you the runaround, take them to court. But you can only do this successfully if you have an honest track record and have been in good standings with their website and further - the $5K is actually your money. Perhaps a dispute has been engaged? this too could put a hold up on your money for a wire transfer from RAC to your bank. The most time you should wait for a full wire transfer overseas would be at least 7 to 14 days. 30 days tells me something has gone seriously wrong.

For every story, there are 2 sides. Find out theirs.

Regards,
    Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx Peter,
    no, there'd been no disputes or arbitrations... I had the funds transferred by RAC legally on 5th of October(as per their mail)...and I rank around #174 on RAC...so not that bad a reputation.
    As per RAC's email on my request to start a trace...they said the trace will be on within 24 hours(that was on last Friday).

Finance and related mails are replied by Erika Kovaks....she seems to be a real person...but they have no one with the name Julia Robertson on their team, it's just an email alias I think.Check this page
    http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder...ut/default.asp

I think I'll wait till they reply today...and then start calling them directly instead of mailing them.

Thanks for your help Peter,

regards,
    neelanjan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, I made a mistake...the name is not Erika Kovacs...it's Judi Edgington.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh? "Julia Robertson" is not just an Email Alias. At least, if it is, I have been wronged this entire time. Very interesting indeed.

Why would they do that? that doesn't sound like very good business practice. Further, I didn't know email addresses had names like Julia Robertson.

Either way, you need to call them back ASAP and tell them this:

"Look, I don't know what you people are doing with my financials, but I deserve a little more respect and information for the money that has gone missing. You haven't contacted me about my $5000 dollars like you said you would last week, and I'm beginning to feel like you have no intensions of getting to the bottom of this situation.

I talked to so and so last week and they advise that the process would take 24 hours to find out whats going on. I haven't heard anything from ANYONE (get a little concerned in your voice) and I'm having no other alternative but to settle this matter in court for my earned $5000.00."

I mean, mix and match the above to your needs based on your situation, and if they are no help you MUST take firm action against them. However, I've done business as well on RAC and haven't had any problems whatsoever. So I'm sure they are legit, but I also know another thing..

I had to pay $100 via Escrow before I awarded a coders bid. I choose paypal as my method. I submitted my $100 and paid them directly.

Having seen the paypalsucks.com forums, and other nightmare stories in the past and present, they tend to "freeze" business accounts as they see fit.

It happens, and maybe this is going on with their paypal account. Not sure, but I'd find out. Call them and then call them again in the same day. Do not let this go by you. If you are concerned, you are not letting them know that by not calling or by not becoming aggressive.

Let's remember, it's people like you that make RAC run and make money to people like me who request services from time to time.

My strong advice would be to now, contact your lawyer and have him/her call RAC directly on your behalf. I'm positive your lost money will become a top priority at this point for RAC. They are good people, maybe just some error in the paperwork, either way, their bank should have contacted them if there was issue with your transfer.

Let me know how you make out. This is quite interesting.

Regards,
    Peter

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! Tell me this sounds like an alias:

HTML Code:
    If you have any questions, on this or anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us at facilitator@rentacoder.com.

Sincerely,
    Julia Robertson

http://www.RentACoder.com
    Email: facilitator@rentacoder.com
    Phone: (813) 908-9029
    Fax: (813) 960-1495
    I guess I was fooled. Anyways, there is the number. Give em a call.

Regards,
    Peter

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are members of the BBB, you can always file a complaint with them if the company won't help:
    http://www.bbbonline.org/profile.asp...01319153420484
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you written RentACoder to inquire about this?
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all, thanks for your feedback. BTW, there seems to be a small update, my bank informed me that they had received a query on why the fund didn't reach the destination.It seems to be the wire tracer, doesn't it? But I didn't receive any information from RAC, think they are not yet informed by their bank,they'll know about it when the entire trace report is at their desk.

What do you all think? Peter?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update.

If my bank called me or informed me of some "query" as you mention, I'd personally get in my car and talk to the bank manager on what the heck is going on. If your bank is at all helpful in regards to your bank account, you should request a FULL status report on this "query". They will tell you if it was a trace or if it was something else. It does sound like a trace, but now that that's done, what the report? Further, if the trace was successful, then where is your money?

Another thing, if you are talking to people and you don't understand what they are saying, ask them "Well, What do you mean exactly?". They could be giving your proper information as to your requests, but you are not handling or understanding them as intended. Might want to check into that as well.

Now you have your bank giving your "queries" with no help, and RAC as well. You have enough information here to take firm action in multiple ways (BBB, RAC, Bank) and if these firms do not come to some understanding, you may just have a harder time in the long run.

Good luck my friend. Keep us updated as this situation progresses.

Regards,
    Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,
    oh yes I indeed visited my Bank and all they had to say was that they had replied to the query asking for the detail of this particular transaction, since they say they never received the fund.It is now how quick Bank of America(the banker for RAC) responds that I'll be able to know what's going on.

I've mailed RAC the info I havew got and told them that I was supposed to hear this from them...I'll call them up when they open office today.

I think I am just waiting to get this trace report, since my Bank can not provide me with the report and the report will be available from RAC only...since the originating bank for the SWIFT message is Bank of America, and they'll provide RAC with the report.I'll be waiting for their report today... My next action will depend on this report,I think. So one more day I think I have to waste on this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I just visited the international banking department of my bank for more info...they said that they received the SWIFT message from the remitting bank that "the fund has been transferred to my account" 12 days ago,but the fund never arrived.Yesterday they received the trace query and had replied to it asking for why the fund did not arrive and the detail of the entire transaction.

SteelSun, thanks for your feedback, I think I'll have to resort to filing a complaint if things don't work out the way I'm trying to resolve it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAC wire transfer issue

This posting is from Judi Edgington at Rent a Coder.

I notice that Neelanjan has not been posting up complete information on what really occurred with this issue and is misrepresenting both myself and Rent a Coder.

To give you some background, I send out about 60 wire transfers each month for Rent a Coder and 99.99% of the wires arrive within a few days and without any issues. In the case of Neelanjan he had two successful wire transfers sent to him…but then he CHANGED the account numbers at his bank. Since he did this, the last two transfers that were sent out to the new account have been delayed. This is unfortunately beyond our control to see or effect...all we can do is send it, and then it is up to his bank to process it and get it to him.

Neelanjan, I am very disappointed to see you portray the situation as Rent a Coder not responding to you, when the exact opposite is the case.

I personally have responded to Neelanjan often about this problem and have called my bank every few days to find out what happened to the money. On October 28th I started an official trace with my bank to find Neelanjan’s money. The trace can take time because it depends on the coder’s bank to respond in a timely manner. It took approximately 5 business days for Neelanjan’s bank to respond to the trace. Once my bank received the response a request was then sent to AMEX Centurion bank in Utah. Within two business days AMEX responded to Bank of America that they sent the money to Neelanjan’s bank on Oct 6th and provided a reference number. My bank is again waiting on Neelanjan’s bank to respond and tell them where the money is for the reference number that was obtained from AMEX. As soon as I received the reference number I sent an email to Neelanjan with the number so that he could also inquire at his bank about the money and possibly allowing his bank to find the misplace money. At this point Neelanjan’s bank does have the money but they can’t seem to locate it. Since wire transfers typically only take a few business days to arrive I estimate that the money has been at Neelanjan’s bank since October 10th.

Neelanjan I believe that you owe myself and Rent a Coder an official apology on this board for misrepresenting what occurred. I did everything in my power to locate your money, and will continue to do that. However, the ethical thing for you to do would be to set the record straight on this board and explain to everyone that:

1) RAC sent your money out properly
    2) It is your bank (and not RAC) that has held up your money for over one month.
    3) That RAC (through myself) has actually been working constantly to help you.