SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Mambo / Joomla Users?

I have mainly used Mambo as the CMS backend for the sites I have recently (last 1-2 years) been developing for my clients.

For those who are switching over to RoR completely, how would / are you filling the CMS department? Are you just writing your own CMS? Just curious what others are doing.

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an interesting view: http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000528.html

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in general agreement with David's view - RoR makes it so easy to rollout things such as CMS-like systems (I'm talking your basic CMS for the average small to medium website, not huge enterprise CMS's) that bespoke solutions can be cheaper than they ever have been and are generally the best way of giving your clients exactly what they want.

Most clients all have their own ideas on how their website should work and how they should be able to manage it that I think it's very difficult to produce a one size fits all solution these days. You could do it, but the moment clients start saying "ok, but we'd like you to make a few changes so it can do this", then the changes build up, and unless the source code for the original CMS was impeccable and you know it back to front, you end up with some kind of hacked together mess of customisations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. Working with Mambo, which it certainly has it's good points, I ended up spending a lot of time trying to either fit the project within it's limitations, or trying to stretch Mambo.

Neither of those routes is as fun as just doing it yourself and working with code you know and that makes sense.