SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sidebar and content too far down

I'm getting back into web design after several years. What I've discovered is designers have in the meantime fallen in live with CSS, so I've got some catching up to do.

I'm in the midst of redesigning a newspaper website. I've managed to use just one table for the basic structure and CSS for the rest. Once that's done, I'll see about adding new features.

The redesign is looking good except for one glitch, and I'm hoping someone can help me with it. First check it out:

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/test/modern.html

The sections to the left -- the sidebar and the main content -- start about one inch lower than they should in Firefox and IE6. They look fine in Safari (and even Netscape 4!).

Other pages in the website look good in all browsers, but I think it's because there is more text in the content area, and it's pushing things up to where they should be.

The logo used to sag as well, but I fixed that with a valign=top in its table cell. Unfortunately that trick didn't work elsewhere.

BTW, everything validates at W3C.

TIA for any suggestions.

Mark

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want our help, then I suggest you add newlines characters to your stylesheets.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wikipedia entry on newlines says files originating on Unix or Apple Macintosh systems may appear as a single long line on a Windows system.

I resaved the files with DOS linebreaks and uploaded them. I hope that addresses your concerns. Let me know if there are still problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was actually not a bad example of transitional layout -- just one simple table -- that still looks reasonably good in Netscape 4. I've checked out examples of tableless layouts that work in NS4, but to be honest they're so complicated they make my head explode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm *this* close to not caring about Netscape 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the point of making web pages look the same in new browsers; like Firefox, Opera 8, and Safari; and in really old browsers like Netscape 4 and IE4.

I tend to hide my CSS from NS4 and IE4.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Dynamic Site Solutions