How to logon to my webhost's mySQL database

How to logon to my webhost's mySQL database
    Plz help
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you have to have access to the mySQL database. This is usually accomplished through Telnet or an SSH connection. Typically your host has to set you up for this as most hosting companies don't give SSH access automatically.

Best thing to do (since we don't know your situation) is to email your host.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super...I've moved your thread into the mySQL forum. The people in here have the experience you need. Good luck.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing to do is to ask your web host. If they are a good host that provide a decent level of support then they should at least be able to point you to their FAQ or give you some instructions/assistance. Usually, on a virtual server account, your host will set up one database for you and set the user id and pword and database name.

If you do not have telnet/ssh access to your account, the next best thing is to ftp the files that make up phpMyAdmin into your web space. phpMyAdmin will give you a web page GUI to your database.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at this article for some help:
    Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySQL

Specifically this page of it which tells you how to log on to your webhosts mySQL Database:
    http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/228/156

Here's a quote from it, the part that you need:
    If you didn't set up the MySQL server yourself (if, for example, you'll be working on your Web host's MySQL server), there are two ways of going about connecting to the MySQL server. The first is to use telnet to log into your Web host's server and then run mysql from there. The second is to download and install the MySQL client software from http://www.mysql.com/ (available free for Windows and Linux) on your own computer and use it to connect to the MySQL server over the Internet. Either way works fine, and your Web host may support one, the other, or both (you'll need to ask).

Whatever method you choose, whatever operating system you're using, you'll end up at a command line ready to run the MySQL client program to connect to your MySQL server. Here's what you should type:

mysql -h <hostname> -u <username> -p

You need to replace <hostname> by the host name or IP address of the computer on which the MySQL server is running. If you're running the client program on the same computer as the server, you can actually leave off the -h <hostname> part of the command instead of typing -h localhost, for example. <username> should be your MySQL user name. If you installed the MySQL server yourself, this will just be root. If you're using your Web host's MySQL server, this should be the MySQL user name they assigned you.
    The "-p" argument tells the program to prompt you for your password, which it should do as soon as you enter the command above. If you set up the MySQL server yourself, this password is the root password you chose in Part I. If you're using your Web host's MySQL server, this should be the MySQL password they gave you.
    Hope I helped
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com