SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modes of Payment

I was thinking about what are the modes of payments through which you can collect payments from your clients and what do you need to have/do in order to setup the service on your site.

The ones i can think about

1) Paypal : need to have a merchant account and a process to bill the client which will automatically be credited into your account

2) Credit card : a gateway integrated ( Can anyone explain this a bit more)

Also, you are free to list as many modes of payments through you know you can collect from your clients.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wire Transfer - Generally with Western Union
    Check Payments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most common methods of payment are:

1. PayPal (or other similar services)
    2. Credit Card (using a payment gateway like 2Checkout, Authorize.net, etc)

Others:

3. Check (some gateways take electronic checks, otherwise they can be sent via mail)
    4. Direct Wire Transfer (bank to bank)
    5. Money Order / Cashiers Check (again, sent via mail)

It all depends on where your clients are located and what type of fees you are willing to pay. If most clients are local, then a check may not be a problem. If you have overseas clients, then that wouldn't work very well. Accepting credit cards is the most common method, but there are fees associated with each payment processed. PayPal is becoming more common when paying for things other than eBay items, but again, not always available to everyone (some countries are not able to create an account).

Which payment methods you want to accept are up to you really. You can say you accept them all, but I would choose what you are comfortable with and give them those options. If you're limiting yourself to just one, I would go with the credit cards, since that is going to be the most accepted by clients.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my clients are local, so they generally pay me with a check (via US mail)

Recently, however, I've been considering credit cards as an option. In the last couple months I have missed two website sales because "they'd have to wait until they have more money."

I'm really curious if I would have made the sale if I could have allowed them to "charge it," instead of asking for a check.

Has anyone else decided to accept credit cards for similar reasons? If so, did it work?
    Now Hiring
    Looking for (x)html coder/ php programmer/
    WordPress expert for project work. PM me with
    your rates and work samples if you're interested.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I am thinking of accepting credit cards but the problem is that I am not aware of how does the transaction occurs. I am thinking of selling services like website optimization and link exhchange, so yes, paypal won't be a problem but how do accept credit card payments. I have a VISA card from ICICI Bank in India and I am not sure what to do to get payments via credit card from clients.

How do asian entreprenuers accept payments through credit cards, I am not aware of authorize.net or 2checkout and not sure as well if they allow NON-US citizens can opt for 2checkout or anything else.

Guidance is needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you need to find a payment gateway that supports your country. You will receive an account that is accessible via a website which controls your credit card processing and controls. You'll be able to either set up a page on your website or manually charge a card via their admin interface. Every one is different, so I the actual process will be different for each. You'll most likely be charged a set-up fee to get everything going, a monthly fee to use it and then a percentage of each transaction.

I am not experienced in outside gateways as I am in the US, but perhaps someone else can chime in with more specifics.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessebhunt
    Recently, however, I've been considering credit cards as an option. In the last couple months I have missed two website sales because "they'd have to wait until they have more money."

Has anyone else decided to accept credit cards for similar reasons? If so, did it work?
    I hear you, Jesse.

I decided to accept credit cards for monthly hosting (this saves me from having to send out a bill each month).

I'm weary of using it for bigger web projects though. What if someone pays me for a $2k job and files a charge-back after 30 days? That would suck on many levels!

For smaller, less risky jobs, i'm OK with it.

-Costas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asha: LiquidReflex is right on with his description of how a payment gateway works. I've used authorize.net on a customers website, and it worked fairly easily. However, I am not sure if they cater to the Asian market or not (I just looked briefly at their website, but couldn't find anything about it.)

Firehous: I stopped billing monthly for hosting because it was so much trouble. Instead, I bill annually for hosting. That seems to work better.

Regarding the chargeback on larger jobs... I offer my customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So, if they're not happy with the work, they wouldn't have to chargeback. They could call me on the phone & I would refund their money.

So far, I've never had to give anyone their money back.
    Now Hiring
    Looking for (x)html coder/ php programmer/
    WordPress expert for project work. PM me with
    your rates and work samples if you're interested.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Asha,

Why not mail Authorize.net, 2checkout, and other payment gateways and ask them if they allow asians to accept payments via credit cards or you can also ask them for an alternative solutions as I am sure they must be recieving such mails a number of times. Look at other asian shopping sites, ecommerce sites as to how they accept payments and which payment gateways do they use.

You will find many Asians here who sell such services and I am sure they will be able to guide you better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asha
    1) Paypal : need to have a merchant account and a process to bill the client which will automatically be credited into your account
    You don't need to have a merchant account to use a PayPal account.
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pdxi,

you will need to have a bussiness account to sell services and accept via credit cards

I am considering CCAvenue, or worldpay, Any reviews on them, how many asians are currently dealing with CCavenue, I like the way they have described on their site but the only problem is that my customers will leave my site and will have to checkout from their server. They don't allow branding which they need to take care of.

Also, someone recommened me using ICICI payseal but their setup cost is very expensive and they don't process discover card holders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asha
    Pdxi,

you will need to have a bussiness account to sell services and accept via credit cards
    Specifically, "Merchant account" is a kind of business checking account. The mixup of words confused me.
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us we accept payment via

1) Cheque
    2) bank to bank transfer (either via ATM or Internet banking)
    3) paypal

As for the ablove, I would said it is about 40% for cheque payment, 30% for IB transfer, 20% for ATM transfer and lastly 10% for paypal
    Reliable Web Hosting | NetAsia Solutions - One-stop Web solution