SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will I qualify to enter any affiliate program?

Hi,
    My site just got into the Yahoo! directory, so Im getting big traffic. So I want to make some money, but I dont know how serious are the affiliate companies about their rules.
    The URL to my site is www.highway64.com and it has Commodore 64 games.

Do you think I will be able to enter affiliate programs?

SitePoint Enthusiast webman1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making Money

I think any site can make money. The key is to find an affiliate program that sells a product similar to the focus of your site. So in your case, look for affiliate programs that sell video games, video systems, etc. Mix and match affiliate programs and see what works best.

Russ

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, what Im worried about is the "legality" of my site: It has games that are copyrighted, but on the other hand they are for a computer that has been out of the market for almost a decade, and most of the companies that made those games dont exist anymore.
    Im afraid that the affiliate companies will reject my site because of its content. Has it happened to anyone on this forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, first off i havent looked at your site... but i have a rough idea of what i would find... simply put the affiliate COULD reject you because of the nature of your site, however this is highly unlikely!!

What i would sugest is reading the terms and conditions very closely... just to see if there is anything in there that COULD give them grounds to remove you without paying.

Generally speaking tho if it is a pay per click then you are more likely to be removed then if it is a pay per sale....

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest the following. I don't know if it will help. (I haven't been to your site yet - I hope you have Frogger).

What I would do for your site in general is have a page with a policy somewhere that said something along the lines of:

- We respect intellectual propery laws and copyright.
    - Where the original creater of the code can be identified we have attempted to contact that person and seek their permission to publish their works on this site.
    - Should the original creater of any of the code available at this site establish their claim to ownership of the code and wish that it not be distributed through this site we will remove the code from our site.

I remember that mmj has a similar discussion on the forums some months ago. He runs a humour site and wanted to publish some policy there that although most of the jokes are annonymous - if someone claims ownership, he wanted to cover his but.

Another thing is to pre-empt any problem with the affiliates. Write them an email pointing out the content in your site and point them to the written policy I suggest above. Then if they respond saying - yeah that's OK, well, as long as you have it in writing, you should be OK.

<<edited>>

Hey I should have looked before I leapt. I see you already have a policy stated on your home page.
    Last edited by freakysid; Aug 15, 2001 at 18:59.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. I thought they went through every site before accepting them.
    And I do have Frogger and many other games, manuals and covers, so you are all welcome to get your favourite classics!

www.highway64.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to check out Fineclicks.com. They are building a strong reputation as a decent ad network.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, Lil_Red. I rhyme.

I also give my thumbs up to Paul and the gang at AffiliateFuel.com, I've had great support with them.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the affiliates I've applied to over the years only once was a site of mine rejected. In that case I think it was because we already had a link there from one of thier competitors. Thier loss.....
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fineclicks would be a good choice. They give you instant access to your account now I think. (No waiting for the rejection letter )

And you don't have Giana Sisters!!!