User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much do you need to make to survive?

How many dollars per day do you need to make to live exclusively off of your internet business?

Of course, there is always surviving vs. living comfortably.

What has been fun for me is to actually track the dollars I make per day, and watch it grow over time. I've surpassed the "survival" mark, and now I'm working on living comfortably. Our goal (wife and I) is to reach a point where we can easily live anywhere in the world, and travel often, and still run an internet business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that all depends on your idea of 'living comfortably'.

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Goldfire, some people can live there life with $25-30k a year. Then there's the people who want to have well just about everything and shoot for $100k+ a year. I myself don't care much about money as others do, I find true happiness out of life being with the one I love and having a job that I love which is web design and website management. Long as I have a nice, clean and peaceful roof to live under and long as I'm able to enjoy the outdoors and put food on the table then I'm fine. So it all goes back to what goldfire said, whatever your idea of living good is what you need to make to survive.

Thanks!
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    I agree with Goldfire, some people can live there life with $25-30k a year. Then there's the people who want to have well just about everything and shoot for $100k+ a year. I myself don't care much about money as others do, I find true happiness out of life being with the one I love and having a job that I love which is web design and website management. Long as I have a nice, clean and peaceful roof to live under and long as I'm able to enjoy the outdoors and put food on the table then I'm fine. So it all goes back to what goldfire said, whatever your idea of living good is what you need to make to survive.

Thanks!
    Scott
    Great input, and glad that you agreed with me

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it depends on your age, family etc.... Personally, just to pay the bills and be able to eat decently its mid xxxx.xx per month. Man I remember the days of being able to live on $300 or so a week but once the family happens, you buy a house etc the bills start stacking up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could make it pretty well off if I could make 1000 bucks a month.
    It'd be great... but not happening yet.

Anyone looking to hire a semi-pro webdesigner/programmer for that amount? hehe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Survival would be making enough to pay for essential items. Sure there are millionaires who have a hard time "surviving" and are in serious financial trouble, but not because they're poor... they don't know how to manage their money or live within their means.

So if we say financial survival is simply staying out of poverty, then we can get a rough idea of how much we need to make based on the poverty thresholds & guidelines, keeping in mind that those are probably averages for the nation, and it will take more to survive in areas with a higher than average cost of living:
    http://www.census.gov/hhes/poverty/t.../04prelim.html
    http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/05poverty.shtml

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well according to that census link, I'm not in poverty! Woo hoo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, according to those numbers... I'm living in poverty because I earn and live off about 450 euros/monthly. And half of that is my rent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icky_bu
    Well, according to those numbers... I'm living in poverty because I earn and live off about 450 euros/monthly. And half of that is my rent!
    Well, those are average numbers for the US. I am guessing Portugal probably has a lower cost of living on average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were just my minimum monthly expenses, I'd say $6-$7 per day. That's for bills, food, school money (for my supplies and other school-related expenses). As for living "comfortably", it would be around $12-$15 per day.

Then again, I live in a third world country, hence the lower cost of living. My income per month fluctuates, so it's hard to predict whether I'll be having a "poverty" month. At least my "fat" months balance my "lean" months properly, so I'm hardly in any danger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paying for everything I pay for now (mortgage, car, food for myself, the wife, and the pets, power, cable, taxes, etc. ), I'd need to make about $100-120 per day.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Paying for everything I pay for now (mortgage, car, food for myself, the wife, and the pets, power, cable, taxes, etc. ), I'd need to make about $100-120 per day.
    Really, thats ALL living in Philly? I would have thought it would have been a whole lot more than that!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Really, thats ALL living in Philly? I would have thought it would have been a whole lot more than that!
    I'm talking not buying anything fancy and just paying the bills in my estimate. It's easy to spend way more than that around here if you wanted to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Yes, for my AND I to meet most of what you said, I need about the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To "survive" you need to make enough to pay for food and water. Everything else is frivilous.

However, since every place is going to be different and everyone's version of surviving is interpreted in a different way, throwing out our budgets really won't help much (unless you live in the same area and have the exact same expenses). To figure it out you'd need to basically cover any expenses you have: food, shelter, utilities, loans, etc. Speaking from experience, you can survive off of peanut butter sandwiches and ramen noodles, but it isn't pleasant. Since I don't have any dependants, it's easier for me to figure out, but with a house payment, new car payment, utilities, food, gas ... it's not cheap, but that's my lifestyle. I could survive on less if necessary (hopefully that won't be the case anytime soon).
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As most people said, as soon as you are able to pay your bills, expenses and eat properly. Then thats all you need, of course, extra cash is always good. But the "price" changes for every individual.
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me to live with my current lifestyle, at least about $500 a day!

To survive, I could make do with about $20 a day but thats roughing it.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answers to that question won't mean a lot since the people answering are from different areas with different costs of living and some have families, while others don't. For instance, until I had a family I could live on little to nothing - and be happy. As long as I had a few bucks cash to go out on the weekend with my buddies, I was okay.

Now that I have a wife, 2 kids, a dog, a cat, a house (and a mortgage to go with it), 2 cars, student loans, car loans, credit cards, an office (with rent), etc. I have to have quite a bit to even pay the bills. I make 5 times as much and don't have cash or time to go out with my buddies. Funny.

It's all relative.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    The answers to that question won't mean a lot since the people answering are from different areas with different costs of living and some have families, while others don't. For instance, until I had a family I could live on little to nothing - and be happy. As long as I had a few bucks cash to go out on the weekend with my buddies, I was okay.

Now that I have a wife, 2 kids, a dog, a cat, a house (and a mortgage to go with it), 2 cars, student loans, car loans, credit cards, an office (with rent), etc. I have to have quite a bit to even pay the bills. I make 5 times as much and don't have cash or time to go out with my buddies. Funny.

It's all relative.
    I agree, but it is interesting to see the different situations. I think the definition of "survive" will vary widely too. It seems everyone here at least needs a computer to survive, right? Or maybe you can work from libraries or internet cafes?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I reached $2k a month I stopped looking for work elsewhere, at the time I could live off that. I shared an apartment with my fiance who also earned about 2k a month. That was more than enough for our bills.

Now I make far more than $2k a month, and I share a house with my wife. Still no kids, though.

I make far more than I need now, and in a way its weird, we'll be frugal about the stupidest little things, but on the other hand I'm putting a roughly $130k addition on my house right now, and paying for it all out of pocket, and we took 2 vacations this year, and bought a hot tub. If I had to cut back and just pay for utilities, mortgage, food, cars. I think I'd need about 3k a month. Our lifestyle would be totally different though.

For instance at only 3 or 4k per month it would have taken us awhile to save up our downpayment for our house, in truth though it was only 1 months income for me. So we'd probably still be living in our apartment, and that would have made it harder for me to run my business since we were so cramped in room (currently in my house I'm using atleast 1000 sqft for ecommerce storage). Of course I could get an office/warehouse but what I love about Internet businesses is that I can work from home, and this will be doubly important when we have kids, so I don't really want to take that step yet.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To live comfortably I'd say around $3000 p/m here. That is, for an individual, renting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems everyone here at least needs a computer to survive, right?
    lolz well said..

well, as long as concered to me, if i dont have any bills to pay or anything like my university fees, hostel dues etc. (these things are paid by my father (thanks Dad)) .. then $35+ per day are enough for me to live a comfortable life with my car .. but if i have to pay some kinda bills and other expences relating to "Home" of University then i may need upto $100 to live a comfortable life .. but not Luxary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all depends on your lifestyle. I mean, for me, I want to be able to be doing just web design one day and live off that because I enjoy it so much.

There ARE people out there, raking in over 10,000 a month, being self-employed in web design... why can't you and I?
    SK

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SharifTK
    There ARE people out there, raking in over 10,000 a month, being self-employed in web design... why can't you and I?
    There are plenty of people making 10k+ doing web design! I know because so many of them outsource their tech/programming to me. You can do it

The consistent characteristic of these people is that they provide excellent service and know how to market. They have lawyers and accountants and dont worry too much abou things like tables vs. css, instead worrying about client satisfaction.

They ALL have a high retention rate, and I love watching them grow. This business is still great for people who are dedicated and talented, but you have to be MORE than just a great designer or programmer.

Business skills are required. If you just want to 'live of web designing' then the easiest way is to get a job! I think many will agree that running a business is a whole different kind of a burden - if you dont like doing it it's not fun at all.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+