SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

parsing Word or RTF file for db insertion

I built a CRUD app (calendar) for a client, which they're happy with, however some months they enter over 100 events which as you can imagine becomes pretty laborious doing them one at a time with a web app.
    My thought was that they could upload a Word or RTF file containing all the events and parse that file and enter each record in to the database.
    I'm sure someone here has run into the same dilemma and I'm interested in how you went about it. I'm trying avoid having client learn some type of custom tagging if possible.

Any suggestions/tips/experiences are greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest asking them to use an Excel / CSV file instead, you will probably find it a little easier to parse than a Word document.
    Garcia

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XML would be the route that I take, since you can to some degree use XML with word, from what I'm lead to believe?

I think you'll find XML has a greater degree of freedom than what CVS does btw

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hadnt thought of excel, but that sounds viable. xml would be ideal, but i think the conversion from word is spotty and probably needs a 3rd party conversion tool to do a decent job and that may be more trouble than its worth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if your client is not very tech-savvy, you may want to stay away from XML.
    Garcia

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeShank
    I built a CRUD app (calendar) for a client, which they're happy with, however some months they enter over 100 events which as you can imagine becomes pretty laborious doing them one at a time with a web app.
    Pretty labororious entering it into word too.

After watching similar happen for some time, and talking to users they want their calendar to do these things:
    • recurring events (happens every friday evening except in school hols)

• re-use of organisers details (but capable of being overridden for each event)

I eventually got them to keep the online calendar up to date, and added filters that allowed them to copy the text back into word, this gave them a lot more control.

To reduce their workload further I created the idea of "trusted partners" who were responsible for more that half the events and allowed them to login and update their own events (can be overridden by the client too).

Another bonus for them was to be able to send mass emails out to all their event organisers from their interface, you can't easily do that from word.

I don't know if any of the above apply in your case of course.
    Last edited by paulyG; Oct 29, 2005 at 22:47. Reason: list screwed

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, done use XML then