SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: What a rip off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down What a rip off!

A few months ago Sitepoint was a great site with excellent member base for which you could sell almost anything you wanted...for free! But now the men upstairs have started to think along the lines of..."now we have people wanting to sell we should charge them a stupid amount even though there arenít guarantied a sell..." and so on. Well i have something to say about this!

I understand why they are doing this...to make money...but when you charge nearly $10 for advertising a service, think they are over stepping that fine mark by a little.

I have an idea for you Sitepoint coders, if you make its so any payment have to go through Sitepoint (bit like eBay) and then take the listing fee that way people who donít sell what they want do get ripped off.

Iím expecting a few harsh comments now but I had to speak my mind and let all know that Sitepoint are turning into an internet monopoly and if we donít do something about it they will keep on charge what they wonít!!
    {subsevendesign}
    TEMPORARY ONLINE PORTFOLIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed to advertise your hosting plan you have to pay 29.95$ ! that is a real rip off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha yea exactly, they are trying to make us pay for a thing which should be free!

Therefore i call for everyone who agrees with me to have in there signature:-
    "Stop Listing Fees Now - Sitepoint are a rip off"
    {subsevendesign}

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit suprised when the costs were introduced, but it makes perfect sense.

If you can't make a suitable ROI from a $10 or $30 listing on here, then perhaps the problem isn't with Sitepoint's pricing.

The problems with Sitepoint charging a percent of sales is that (a) tracking sales that originate here would be tough and (b) Sitepoint wouldn't get paid if you can't sell your product.

Now, that protects the seller, perhaps... but if a seller can't actually sell, or has a weak product/service to offer, then Sitepoint is basically giving free ads. Sitepoint isn't ripping you off. If you can't manage to sell your product through Sitepoint, then perhaps you need to rethink your offering or selling strategy.

There are few places you can advertise, or sell, and only pay for guaranteed ROI. You mentioned eBay - but remember eBay does charge listing fees.

Quote Originally Posted by radial
    they are trying to make us pay for a thing which should be free
    Why should it be free? Why should they give free advertising?
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well simply we can all move to namepros im sure the owner will be really happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by radial
    But now the men upstairs have started to think along the lines of..."now we have people wanting to sell we should charge them a stupid amount even though there arenít guarantied a sell..."
    They didn't put the fees for kicks. Check the threads in the "forum support" forum to see the reasons.

radial , remember it's THEIR forums not yours. So if you don't like it , you can simply start a thread in the "forum support" forum or maybe contact mmj. If they seem like they won't change it , then you can simply use another forums for selling\advertising your sites\services , and not protest. Protesting won't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AsxVideos.com
    well simply we can all move to namepros im sure the owner will be really happy
    Yes , we can , but we won't. I'm staying at SitePoint. I go to namepros ocassionaly when i need to sell things as i can't afford SitePoint's fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha o Mpereor, you need to learn one thing in life and that is to stand for what you believe in, you may get put and down and opressed but at the end of the day you can live knowing you treid your hardest!
    {subsevendesign}

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    radial, sorry thread closed ude to it being very disrepectful to Sitepoint itself.

we are open to people discussing this issue not being insulting

thank you
    Sarah

-- We also have an extensive FAQ about this at:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305695
    Last edited by Matt Mickiewicz; Oct 28, 2005 at 14:48.
    Regular user