SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CJ results with eBay program?

I've been using the Commission Junction eBay affiliate program since June. I'm experiencing mixed results.

Here are my numbers since I started:

June: 17 leads on 402 hits, 25374 impressions = 1.6% CTR, 4.2% CR
    July: 10 leads on 381 hits, 22053 impressions = 1.7% CTR, 2.6% CR
    Aug: 3 leads on 120 hits, 9200 impressions = 1.3% CTR, 2.5% CR

(my August leads all came between 8/10 and 8/13, so this looked worse a few days ago)

I'm surprised that the activity is so erratic. In June I was getting 1 signup nearly every weekday. In July I got at least 1 a week. In August I went almost 2 weeks with no signups. My CTR didn't change all that much, but the CR has dropped quite a bit (not counting the Aug 10-13 activity, which boosted it).

I haven't changed my link since the start, and my traffic levels have been consistent as well. The link is pretty highly targetted. Working against me is that many of my visitors are repeat customers -- probably about 65% of my daily traffic is repeat.

Has anyone else noticed similar erratic results? I guess I was expecting things to settle down and become regular after an initial spike in signups, but instead I'm seeing pretty spiky results (0 leads in 10 days, then 3 leads in 4 days).

Ralph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, funny to see you here Ralph. :-)

I dropped you an email last month regarding The Goalie's Domain and HockeyDB, if you remember... I've been using the EBay ads on TGD, but with no success. Were you placing them on HockeyDB?
    /* Chris Lambert - chris@php.net
    WhiteCrown Networks, CTO - Web Application Security
    vBulletin, Security Programmer - Instant Community
    */

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: CJ results with eBay program?

Originally posted by Ralph Slate
    I've been using the Commission Junction eBay affiliate program since June. I'm experiencing mixed results.

Here are my numbers since I started:

June: 17 leads on 402 hits, 25374 impressions = 1.6% CTR, 4.2% CR
    July: 10 leads on 381 hits, 22053 impressions = 1.7% CTR, 2.6% CR
    Aug: 3 leads on 120 hits, 9200 impressions = 1.3% CTR, 2.5% CR

(my August leads all came between 8/10 and 8/13, so this looked worse a few days ago)

[...]
    Has anyone else noticed similar erratic results? I guess I was expecting things to settle down and become regular after an initial spike in signups, but instead I'm seeing pretty spiky results (0 leads in 10 days, then 3 leads in 4 days).

Ralph
    On one of my sites, I've sent them 90,000 impressions and 24 hits, no leads. I do need to work on the targetting a bit and clean things up.

Would you mind sending me the URL for your site via PM, I'd like to see how you're targetting your ebay traffic.

BTW, I see you're in Chicopee, I'm in Taunton.. small world!
    Bryan

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of where I use the link:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/c....php3?pid=6400

If someone is on this page, they got there because they wanted to know the trading cards that a particular player has, presumably with an intention to obtain them. So my link says "you can find cards on eBay". That's about as targetted as I can get. I think a fair amount of my visitors already know about eBay, so 1.7% CTR is pretty good.

I wouldn't use a banner ad for a CPA campaign because you're just giving away free branding to the advertiser.

Ralph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I find odd is that with the MS ClickTrade program I was doing OK with the eBay affiliate program (at least once you factor in how many registered users there already are for eBay and how many of your clickthrus are probably NOT new eBay users) but with the CJ version...NADA

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the type of thing that makes me think that CJ isn't counting all leads. From 8/1 to 8/10, no conversions. From 8/10 to 8/15, 4 conversions -- 8/10, 8/12, 8/13, 8/15.

In July, I had these for transaction dates:

7/5
    7/12
    7/14
    7/16
    7/19 (2)
    7/20
    7/23
    7/25
    7/26
    7/31

Why isn't it more consistent? Why so few conversions towards the first of the month?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...of course CJ would probably deny any tracking issues