User Tag List

Thread: Doorway pages

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doorway pages

What's the scoop on doorway pages? I just got done reading a book that praised doorway pages. But I thought I read somewhere that search engines are getting too smart for doorway pages?

Can someone please fill me in? Thanks!
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, using text on the 'doorway' page in the same colour as the bg, so that users won't see it but search engine spiders will, is no longer working. Spiders can now identify the fact that the text and bg are the same, I think, and are rejecting the websites as a result.

This is what I've picked up by reading threads here. If you have a search around I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for in more detail than I can give you.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A doorway page can be well done and used effectively. You cannot create a doorway page that lists "website development" 1000 times. It won't work. But if your write an otherwise logical keyword rich little article and slap it on a page then it'll work.

I believe Matt wrote a thing on doorway (splash) pages in an old issue of the tribune.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess the problem with doorway pages is that nowadays many SE's are looking for the link popularity, which is zero for doorways...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doorway pages (also called Gateway pages, pointer pages, etc) as once defined are not very useful anymore. The SE's were spammed to death with them - and they, along with regular site pages, are 'scanned' for specific No-No's (spam)

An effective doorway is:

1. part of your site, even if it is on a seperate url

2. USEFUL - not just a bunch of links. These types of gateways only serve to guide spiders and robots to specific pages within your site - generally deep pages. They are not as effective anymore either. Your best bet for this would be a straight up Site Map type of page.

3. Content Rich. Say you have a site about 3 different things - Create 3 sections (one for each theme) and lead into them from Doorway pages describing the section - linking to the pages - and cross linking to the other sections. Now, content means Text! Use text - use keyphrases and pay attention to how your words are grouped. Having "ice cream" 100 times on in your text/code will not do anything for you, Esp if you only have 200 credited 'words' on your page. Pay attention to the word ratio.

Do not design the page to Not be seen - Design it TO be seen, it will server you better that way. Allow it to rank.

Do not create 14 pages all about "ice cream" instead create 1 about "chocolate ice cream" another about "strawberry ice cream" and another about "vanilla ice cream" and yet another about "ice cream with nuts" etc..

Again, if your pages are valid, provide useful content and server a purpose other than to gain inclusion and rank in a search engine then you are fine. If the only reason for creating that page is 'trick' the se into adding you - then its spam

as for link popularity - the only links that are counted are relevant links - and text links are better than graphic links esp if they have a sentence or two with them (meaning in paragraph form as opposed to a straight text link with no explaniation)

link popularity is only ONE factor in determining rank in a few of the more popular engines - but it is not the only factor. I could have thousands of links pointing to my site - but if they are not relevant they do nothing for me - whereas one really good, relevant link can effect my rank
    Last edited by crashZ; Aug 14, 2001 at 12:29.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information crashZ, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on a doorway page that redirects a user to another page when it is loaded (Via a JS script)?

I've had to do this various other times when I've moved pages around, so that users who have index the old page are taken to the new one automatically. So I was just wondering if these are effectively doorways ?

I don't want to get banned for using redirects defunct webpages so I was wondering what your thoughts are. I use an external Javascript file to redirect, so hopefully its not noticed by SE's.

Thoughts ??

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JS cannot be read (yet) by spiders.

Your best bet when moving pages is to put a "noindex" on the page that is no longer valid with a sentence that "this page has been moved to xxxx please click the link if you are not automatically forwarded" put a delay on the forward (8 seconds or more)

This will cover you with search engines and browsers that have JS disabled

oh - having a regular link will lead the spider to the new page for indexing as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines cannot read javascript, but chances are if you do a redirect, someone will report you to the search engines, and you will go bye bye.

Crash was right about doorway pages, the old spam techniques that used to work will now fail.

You can no longer cram your doorway pages full of keywords or links. You can't have links in the same colour has your background (background colour or image, someone will report you), Meta Tags are becoming less and less important (still have them though), doorway pages must be of relevance to the site.

In another forum, I saw some poor guy who had just payed a substantial amount of money to have his site optimized for the Search Engines, and he was ripped off in the worst possible way.

Here's the doorway page that produced, and it's a fantastic example of how NOT to do it:

http://www.discountcatholicstore.com...licartL01.html).