SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, friends love helping out their friends. You're not a friend if you suggest XP.
    I have to second that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    Dude, friends love helping out their friends. You're not a friend if you suggest XP.
    Profitable free enterprise uses PCs...which is what the rest of the world uses instead of macs. This is why PC people rule the world, and mac users are wannabees

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    Profitable free enterprise uses PCs...which is what the rest of the world uses instead of macs. This is why PC people rule the world, and mac users are wannabees
    Profitable enterprises use what makes them the most money without regard for the biases of others.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why Mac users don't have viruses and any worries when they use their computers.

l º 0 º l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover
    Which is why Mac users don't have viruses and any worries when they use their computers.
    It's really amazing to see all of these threads on SitePoint about viruses, software glitches, and other things relating with Windows after being on OS X for a week. I'm so tempted to reply to every one of them simply: "The solution is OS X", but I figure that would anger a few.
    Zach Holman
    good-tutorialsblogtwitterlast.fm

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, it's not possible for macs to get viruses?

OR, could it be the people who are writing viruses that attack windows machines are mac users...???

I've heard that mac users are still sore at Bill for "stealing" the windows concept from mac, which they claim rightfully belongs to Steve Jobs.

If there were any shred of truth to that, don't you think there would be a lawsuit in the works against Bill instead of a bunch of belly aching?

Besides, if macs were so good...why is the entire world using PC based machines? That is the question mac users always side step...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, it's not possible for macs to get viruses?
    No one was saying that. We're just saying that we DON'T get viruses.

OR, could it be the people who are writing viruses that attack windows machines are mac users...???
    I'd be willing to bet nearly all virus writers use Windows extensively. There typically isn't a political motivation for writing viruses anymore; just because of a grudge people don't say "Oh, I'm going to run amuck in another dilapidated system!"

I've heard that mac users are still sore at Bill for "stealing" the windows concept from mac, which they claim rightfully belongs to Steve Jobs.
    I don't think any Mac users care, to be honest. It's a poor implementation, anyway, in comparison to OS X. Most users don't say, "Oh, my OS is rock-solid because the head of the company that makes it rocks hardcore." They don't care about those details; they care for performance and results.

Besides, if macs were so good...why is the entire world using PC based machines? That is the question mac users always side step...
    You can't expect people to drop everything and make the switch overnight. Come back in 5-10 years and notice the change. Mac usage among college students is amazing. The number of white and steel notebooks I see on campus at CMU is huge. In most of my classes Macs outnumber PCs in my informal survey around the room. Granted, we would typically be called first-adopters (if making the switch can be classified under that), so it's not that big of a surprise that there are plenty here. But just through a quick search it looks like in the Spring of 2005 32% of the computers Harvard sold were Macs (source: The Crimson). This points to an enormous trend in the next few years of the younger generation heading towards Apple. And we all know these are the types of people who have the most weight in suggesting products for their family to use. For that reason alone I think we're going to see a jump in marketshare in 3-10 years.
    Zach Holman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    You can't expect people to drop everything and make the switch overnight. Come back in 5-10 years and notice the change
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't mac around a few years BEFORE Bill started Microsoft?

I mean, didn't Bill work for mac before he started his own company?
    Seems like mac would be the inferior product since a very small percentage of computer users choose their products.

Numbers don't lie...

And, BTW I never get viruses and I'm on Windows!
    Do mac users run with no firewalls and anti-virus software?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't mac around a few years BEFORE Bill started Microsoft?
    Yes. And Bill is the man. He knew what people wanted and provided for them. But this was in the eighties, and comparing then to now isn't really relevant, given the explosive new medium we have now. And if you DO want to compare then to now:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates
    To create a new standard, it takes something that’s not just a little bit different, it takes something that’s really new and really captures people’s imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines I’ve ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard.
    I mean, didn't Bill work for mac before he started his own company?
    Nope. He worked at Apple for a short time period though.
    Seems like mac would be the inferior product since a very small percentage of computer users choose their products. Numbers don't lie...
    There are a lot of reasons why Microsoft dominated the way they did in the nineties. That's not the case today. Technologically I feel OS X is the superior operating system. Numbers might not lie, but they can tell a twisted story. Besides, as I mentioned previously, it will take years for any newcomer to shift the tide. This is not a matter of dealing with choosing which new car to purchase; changing OS is a huge issue, especially in the workplace since most people have been tied to Windows due to third-party software developers. As I said before, it will just take time to turn the tide, but it is happening.

And, BTW I never get viruses and I'm on Windows! Do mac users run with no firewalls and anti-virus software?
    You can, if you want. It sure is a heck of a lot safer to on OS X than XP. Running a Windows box without antivirus or a firewall is suicide; doing so on OS X is no big deal.

By the way... have you ever used OS X for an extended period of time?
    Zach Holman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much effort is it taking to get used to it?
    I'm considering getting a 15" powerbook but the main issue is that I'm so used to using windows systems I think it would take ages to get fully used to using os x.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macs have firewall software built in and you can get Anti Virus software.

Mac's can get viruses, they can be attaked, and hacked. Does it happen...Yes. Does it happen often? No. There is yet to be a real virus for OSX and let me tell you why.

Simple numbers... if you write a virus for OSX and it gets sent to 1000 people, let's say 10 of those people have Macs. Those 10 people are now infected and try to infect others... but they only effect a couple since most users are windows. Eventually the virus dies and it can no longer can spread. This is the big reason...

That’s great you never got a virus or never had a piece of spyware on your computer... But you probably go to great lengths to make sure of that... I have a Mac and I don’t have to do anything. Doesn’t mean its better then Windows, just like Spanish is not better the English, its just what you prefer. Its a tool...
    Last edited by iwinweekly.com; Nov 1, 2005 at 22:10.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft has around $60 Billion in CASH reserves...
    How much money does mac have that they've earned from the success of their product?

In today's business world, it's all about resources....which translates into power! Microsoft obviously has much, much more resources than mac, which was earned by the success of their product.

Mac is obviously not very successful.
    They would be if they had a product that could compete, but they don't.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why you hear that Microsoft has so many lawsuits against it around the world. You never hear of an Apple lawsuit. Maybe if you research that you will discover the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one its not Mac... its Apple... and your right MS has much more money the Apple, but what does that prove? MS has power?

The iPod is a good example of an Apple product that has more the 60% MP3 player market. Apple is very successful..

As for lawsuits... everyone gets sued... Apple gets sued all the time, I can think of four lawsuits going on right now against Apple.. But again what does that prove? These posts are funny...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docquesting
    I wonder why you hear that Microsoft has so many lawsuits against it around the world. You never hear of an Apple lawsuit. Maybe if you research that you will discover the truth.
    When you're sucessful, making billions of dollars, somebody will want to tap your pockets.

Mac isn't big enough for anyone to be trying to get into their pockets.
    That's pretty obvious. Who ever is on top will get attacked.

It's always been that way because people are jealous of success...and big money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if you research that you will discover the truth
    ...which is mac is an inferior product, according to computer users all over the world who choose Bill's product over mac.

Numbers don't lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...which is mac is an inferior product, according to computer users all over the world who choose Bill's product over mac.

Numbers don't lie.

So your saying because there are more Ford cars then Bently's sold around the world that the Bently is an inferior product... because numbers dont lie?? Your logic makes no sense.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    I'm considering getting a 15" powerbook but the main issue is that I'm so used to using windows systems I think it would take ages to get fully used to using os x.
    No more than a few hours, OSX surprisingly intuitive and you'll continue to find great little shortcuts all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    Actually, no, not really. I mean, I spent a good weekend moving things over and getting the handle of things. But honestly, most things are pretty intuitive (as Wythrol stated), and you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. It's actually pretty surprising when I think back on it- you'd think it would take awhile to get a hold of it, but it really was a cinch for the most part.
    Zach Holman

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, if macs were so good...why is the entire world using PC based machines? That is the question mac users always side step...p
    Because Apple's products are priced at value....same with Windows. (plus M$ doesn't make PCs)

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't mac around a few years BEFORE Bill started Microsoft.
    Yes, but Windows was much cheaper, along with IBM PCs. Apple was still popular as many people used them, but eventually PCs were just cheaper in the long run. Now they're almost dirt cheap, but yet Apple's sales are rising.

And, BTW I never get viruses and I'm on Windows!
    Do mac users run with no firewalls and anti-virus software?
    I don't run any protection that OS X doesn't already have. You'd probably get viruses on Windows if you used IE.

Microsoft has around $60 Billion in CASH reserves...
    How much money does mac have that they've earned from the success of their product?
    Actually quite a lot. They had a very successful last quarter. You also have to consider that revenue and profit are different, as I don't believe that M$ made $60 billion (I'm not sure though, just an assumption). Still, money doesn't equal power.

[quote[Mac is obviously not very successful.
    They would be if they had a product that could compete, but they don't.[/quote]

Wrong again. Apple doesn't worry about selling it's product, or it's price as much as they probably *could*. They have a huge group of people that will purchase their product because they think it's better. To them there is no other competition. As many say, you get what you pay for. Macs are expensive, but of much higher quality.

When you're sucessful, making billions of dollars, somebody will want to tap your pockets.

Mac isn't big enough for anyone to be trying to get into their pockets.
    I agree with the first statement. Although, Apple is in numerous lawsuits all the time - like every company.

Also, numbers don't lie, but they don't show quality either. Just because Windows sells more, doesn't mean that it's better than OS X. Also, how many pirated copies of Windows are there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockrz- you never answered my question: have you used OS X for an extended period of time, or are you basing your responses off of your experiences with Apple circa 1995?
    Zach Holman

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Sarah already posted in this thread about flamebait. The reason everyone wants a piece of Microsoft is because they know that Microsoft will settle with them if there's any chance of Microsoft losing. It's cheaper than paying for legal fees.

Notice how Google's having tons of lawsuit issues now a days? Have they significantly become "evil" over the past 6 months? No, they've made significant amounts of money.

And there's a lawsuit with Apple and the iPod Nano within the past 2 weeks. If you don't hear of any Apple lawsuits, you're not reading the news.

Because Apple's products are priced at value....same with Windows. (plus M$ doesn't make PCs)
    I've asked this MANY times, maybe even several times to you specifically, but I'll ask it again -- what's the point in writing M$? Seriously, what does that achieve?

I don't run any protection that OS X doesn't already have. You'd probably get viruses on Windows if you used IE.
    You'd also get viruses if you clicked "Open" to every EXE that shows up in your inbox, but you don't see me doing that now do you.

Actually quite a lot. They had a very successful last quarter. You also have to consider that revenue and profit are different, as I don't believe that M$ made $60 billion (I'm not sure though, just an assumption). Still, money doesn't equal power.
    I count just under 19 billion dollars in revenue in last quarter. I don't know what the profits are, I'm not going to spend that much time on this. That's still a phenominal amount, even as gross revenue in 3 months.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I recall correctly an ENORMOUS percentage of Apple's profits were from the iTunes/iPod sector, as opposed to the computer sector.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've asked this MANY times, maybe even several times to you specifically, but I'll ask it again -- what's the point in writing M$? Seriously, what does that achieve?
    I actually have no idea, I've just been doing it for so long. It just comes out that way. Maybe someone else has where it orginated from. I didn't pick it up from anything Apple as I've been using it for much longer.

You'd also get viruses if you clicked "Open" to every EXE that shows up in your inbox, but you don't see me doing that now do you.
    I was just dissin' on IE.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I recall correctly an ENORMOUS percentage of Apple's profits were from the iTunes/iPod sector, as opposed to the computer sector.
    True, but still not all of Microsoft's profit comes from computers either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My brand new Mini mac had a faulty logic board right out of the box...
    `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·FLAMING`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
    -==׺°”˜`”°º×MONARCH׺°”˜`”°º×==-