SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which JavaScript book?

I'm new to JavaScript and I'm wondering which book would be best to get?

DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design Using JavaScript and DOM (Sitepoint)

Or JavaScript: A beginners guide

From what I read the Sitepoint book has a lot in it, but I'm wondering if it might be to advanced for someone with little javascript knowledge?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read one of the books in the Beginner's Guide series, and I thought it was excellent. Javascript books can be pretty hefty, which can be daunting, so it depends on how in depth you want to learn js. The Beginner's guides are a more cursory overview, although that is not to say they are inadequate. "Javascript: A beginner's guide" gets excellent reviews at Amazon, and it's very inexpensive, so I would seriously consider that one.

The book that is hands down the best js book, and which is almost unanimously recommended, is "Javascript: The Definitive Guide"(Flanagan). However, I don't think it's a book that is suited for reading cover to cover--especially for beginners. I do think it is an excellent and indispensable reference, and I use it all the time. You can buy it used fairly cheaply(just make sure you get the current edition, which I think is the 4th edition). You would be well on your way with "A Beginner's Guide", and if you also wanted a reference: "The Definitive Guide".
    Last edited by 7stud; Oct 22, 2005 at 20:17.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to introduce another option.

I have a folder on my hard drive containing online references for multiple languages. I check if a site allows copying, which most do provided you don't publish it, then use MS FrontPage to import the site. I know I know, MS FrontPage ( ) but it does have some useful features as long as you don't try writing web pages with it.

I've been adding to this folder for 6-7 years, it currently stands at 1.1 gig. It has a folding menu index page front-end and I wrote a little app to search it.

I did buy some books a few years ago but have yet to open them because I always find what I need in this folder. It's obviously more portable than books, it's accessible anywhere with a computer and browser.