SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently using phpBB for my forum community but I am considering crossing over to SMF. When I am generating enough to go into paid forum softwares, I think I will be buying IPB over vB since I personally prefer IPB. Otherwise, I think both paid forums are very good.
    Inspireo Media - Solutions for a brilliant web presence
    Hollywood Fashion Tape from Orinity.com

SMF Compliance Manager Oldiesmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat file works great for small boards, but once your board gets big, you'll realize that it's not a great system because it starts to use up more bandwidth and disk space. Stick with a MySQL-based system.
    The Oldiesmann
    Compliance Manager, SMF
    SMF+Gallery2 - RC1 now available!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldiesmann
    Flat file works great for small boards, but once your board gets big, you'll realize that it's not a great system because it starts to use up more bandwidth and disk space. Stick with a MySQL-based system.

How much experience do you have with flat file based boards?
    I was also sceptical at the beginning, then I tested it and it works pretty good (unexpectedly for me).
    BTW, most of the people prefer searching through search engines, than the search engine of a specific board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had too much experience with flat-file systems, but I've heard stories from those who have about how much space these systems take up when the board gets big, how slow things get, etc.
    The Oldiesmann
    Compliance Manager, SMF

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man i switched over to SMF from IF and its the bomb!

go for it - its awesome!

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen guys, I bought a site a few months ago, and the forum had vBullentin installed, with 8 more months licence.

I was playing around with it, it's so heavy and slow [compared to SMF], skinning is much harder than with SMF, basically, everything was worse than SMF, so of course I did a convert. That says a lot, keep in mind I still had 8 months of vBullentin licence left.

SMF rules.

- Tomer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for the bulleting board with a lot of backend features which could improve my forums, bring more traffic and more content and also must be well optimized for SEís.

VBulletin is a good one but you need to pay for it. phpBB is also a good one and itís an open source and of course itís for free. However, both of them have no SEO or at least have very bad SEO. SMF has also great features, cool skins but also nothing behind.

I need a forum engine which can generate a lot of traffic, not a cool-looking lady without visitors. For me a forum skin is not a problem. I can pay a good web designer to do it for me in few days for each of those forums.

To be honest, most of these modules by each of those engines are pretty useless for webmasters or visitors. At least I found one engine called ZoneX made by ZoneMetrics. Itís based on phpBB and it is still open source software. ZoneX has generated for me more then 40% traffic in comparison to my previous BBS. This happened only in period of one month! Therefore I expect much more in the future. Also these guys added a lot of very useful features, for both, users and webmasters. Now I optimized my forum and also my ROI and now I can say a forum could be gold mine
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The Hardest Blog On The Planet
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well Vbulliten is pretty nice though - i havent experienced the admin end of it but the user experience sure is uncomparable I must say. What makes it so in my view?
    - Ajax fast loading system
    - Reputation system, unseen elsewhere yet(by me)
    - user friendly CP which allows u to basically see everything thats goin on in a min flat
    - Top X stats allow much faster and friendly interaction for the members as they see the new posts comin up

phpBB offers a few of these things but its too boring in my view.
    SMF offers even less out of that list but its pretty nice to use
    So currently im usin SMF but if i had the bucks id go for vBulliten no doubt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SMF 1.1 will have AJAX type functionality once RC2 is released.
    Reputation - isn't that just like karma which SMF has?
    No idea what top x stats is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SMF has lots of detailed statistics, both board-wide and per-user.

Examples:
    board-wide stats
    per-user stats
    The Oldiesmann
    Compliance Manager, SMF

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after numerous trials we narrowed it down to three products which have the look and feel we want. vBulletin, Invision Power Board, and phpBB.

Invision Power Board is up and running live already, and we are working on a second site using vBulletin, (both latest versions, though l note Jelsoft have just released an interrium release).

Must be doing something wrong in styling vBulletin as l can't see any "skin" sub folders.

Anyways for people who think SMF matches the three highlighted in this post l have to say "you got to be kidding me!" SMF while nice software is simply not at the same level as the three software products we finalised on. We eventually decided on vBulletin and Invision due to the feature sets both have, though after playing with the admin panel, skinning enginee etc in vBulletin l think maybe Invision is ahead at the moment.

Anyways my view may change after further tinkering, but at the moment l am not best pleased with how vBulletin handles style graphics on the web space. Will ask as maybe l am doing something wrong and there might be a step l am missing.

Anyways l would say choose either vBulletin or Invision and you can't go wrong. Both are paid for options, but as they say you get what you pay for.

No offense intended towards the phpBB, that's also very nice software, but didn't float my boat at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think punbb.org is good CSS forum.
    That makes two of us. I love PunBB. It doesn't have all the features of your normal forum (private messaging for example, although you can download a mod to include it on your forum), but it is probably the easiest bulletin board to work with and mod.

That's my pick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander
    Anyways for people who think SMF matches the three highlighted in this post l have to say "you got to be kidding me!" SMF while nice software is simply not at the same level as the three software products we finalised on.
    Maybe you can list me some reasons why I should migrate my board - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ away from SMF, bear in mind that SMF also powers the content @ www.redandwhitekop.com so I assume vB IPB and phpBB can also do that easilly.

Then of course I also assume that they all keep track of read topics correctly - i.e. stored in the db. I know IPB and vB have recently started doing this, although I've not expereience it personally so can't comment on that. phpBB certainly falls vastly short there.

Subboards - IPB and vB fair enough, phpBB not without a mod, shame.

Anyway, I could go on, but like I say, I'd love to hear why I should dump SMF.
    Liverpool FC Forum SMF powered with 2.4 Million Posts - UK Proxy