SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Refresh

Ive got a page which for some reason needs to be refreshed before anything updates. Its a php page with mysql data on it.

At the moment ive got a script which refreshes it every few seconds, but when the user scrolls to the bottom of the page they are taken back to the top when it refreshes!

Is there a way i can make it refresh once as soon as the user comes to the page? as opposed to putting a timer which refreshes every X amount of seconds?

Any help would be great!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way i can make it refresh once as soon as the user comes to the page?
    You need to rethink your design. The main obstacle to fast web pages is having to go back to access the server and wait for data. Javascript is useful because it can do things without the need to go to the server, so it's fast. But, you are saying that for anyone that accesses your page, you are going to make the user wait for the page to load twice? You might as well just make your page blank--people are going to leave your site immediately anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I see what you are getting at.
    But its a stock control system on an intranet. And its only one page that needs to refresh. (the current stock level page).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't you simply disable caching of the page?

Examples of how to do that in PHP can be found here

If you still need to refresh it periodically, one option is to use Javascript to preserve the window's current scroll position & restore it on page load. It's still a little clunky, but marginally less so than jumping to the top each time.
    Only dead fish go with the flow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks!
    I will look into both!