SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commercial Scripts

If you have several programmers who are fairly advanced in PHP and MySQL, do you think it is worth it to create commercial scripts that you sell on a site, or should you just give them out for free?

I am just wondering if the market for commercial scripts is alive or not.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the market is very much alive. How many people buy vB?

Try and make something unique and useful, something usable, and see how it goes. (Easier said than done)

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and make sure that whatever you do is done better than anything that is offered for free.

One thing that may make your script(s) worth buying is if you offer support for them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offer good pricing, good design, and setup an affiliate program...

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, there are a few applications I can think of offhand that would be great for you to do, just beware of any frizzy copyright fringes that go on. If you really want to do it right, setup a live BBS for all of your customers to post questions about yoru application and how they can tailor it to thier needs etc. First, do some research before you choose to go on with whatever application you decide on and figure out some things that other scripts dont have. One word that your script MUST have is CUSTOMIZATION. That is without a doubt, the key factor.

Good luck with the project, be sure to let me know what you decide to do and how well its working out, im kinda curious
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing is make your scripts secure, the last thing customers want it to download a patch for it every other week - just ask MS customers.

A good little starter for security is an article somone pointed me at earlier today: http://www.securereality.com.au/studyinscarlet.txt
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your comments!

A few more questions popped into mind.

What type of license should I get, and would it cost anything?

I definately will probably just go ahead and buy another version of vB for the site. Should we only allow people who have bought any of the scripts to have access to the forum, or should we allow anyone access? I am thinking it may be better just to only let customers access the forums, or atleast a few of the forums.

I just came up with an idea that I thiink would work pretty good.

What we could do is create some basic scripts. And then we would offer to customize those scripts for a flat fee. So if we sold say a Guestbook (yes I know, this isn't needed) and charge people maybe $50 for the script with any small/medium customizations they would need and also give them personal technical support for 6 months and access to the forums for life. This would include installation of the script on their server and integrating it into their sites' design.

That is the type of thing I am envisioning for the commercial script service. Of course everything would be optional (installation, customization, integration, support, etc).

I think this would be a great idea for the large scripts we might create, like Intranets' or CMSs'.

Let me know what you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any comments? I really would like to hear what anyone has to say about doing something like that.