SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Rails Recipies book by Pragmatic Programmers there are two lengthy articles in it concerning exactly what you are asking about here Namely "self-referential Many-to-Many relationships" and "Many-to-Many Relationships where the relationship itself has data"

I've only glanced over them briefly so far so I can't really give much more help but I can definately recommend the book!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rdslide
    Check out the Rails Recipies book ...
    I like to wait for physical books, but your tales of looking at a book that won't be published until May is tempting me to jump on that beta book bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rdslide
    "Many-to-Many Relationships where the relationship itself has data"
    I know you said youhaven't read it in depth, but could you look and see if they advocate creating a new model for many-to-many in instances where the relationship has data?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just scanned it again quickly, it seems like one of the downsides of the book being beta is that it also refers to rails 1.1 features! lol

Apparently the active record models have been reworked to allow a more consise implementation of M2M-with-relationship-data tables. But it does look like they are saying the 1.0 way to do it was to have another model for the join table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, thanks for looking!

And it is also good to hear that they are working off of Rails 1.1, the book is due in May, 1.1 should be out then.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?