SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Please review and critique - West-Houston.com

A buddy and I have been working on my site since late April/early May... It has been a project that has been worked on here and there, and I think it is at a point to where I would be ok with advertising it.

If this were your site, what would you do to improve it?

Do you have any questions/suggestions/replacements for the FAQ as a consumer? as a Realtor?

What do you like about the site? What can you not stand?

Would you tell your friends who are moving about my site? If not, why?

I would appreciate it if those I have reviewed would review my site. I would also be more than happy to review yours if I have not reviewed it yet, I try to avg it out to 3 reviews a week from me.

Let me read your opinion, all of them are important to me.

http://www.West-Houston.com

Thanks-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the look is nice it seem quite unfinished

Need more info on the homepage telling what the site is about. Try some lead in paragraphcs to lead the user into the different sections something like the first paragraph on the "finding a home" link, move that paragraph to the index to intice me to look at that section.

What about maybe a "featured home" lisiting.

Do you think your latest commercial should be so prominent? what are you selling yourself or real estate?

Your home listings should be the most prominent thing on your site yet you seem almost ashamed of them. Move that "Inventory" link up to your main links why are you hiding it at the bottom of the page?

I think you are off to a good start but I think you would do well to look at some of the major real estate company sites and see how they do things. Century 21 seems to be on the right track to me. Remax is close but I think they need a little refinement as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the idea of having the main navigation on top (a bit small) and then have huge buttons on the left side that serve as addition navigation.

Although it only took me a few seconds to figure out the navigtion, some people may give up. You want your main navigational buttons to be big and obvious.

Secondly, I agree with DCS. The site lacks some content. I still don't really understand what you do? Some of your content suggests that you are a construction company, and some suggest you are a realtor. That's a problem. I should know by looking at the home page exactly why I am at your site.
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the menu on the top needs to be fixed, it looks like as if some small bar is stuck over there, may be something whic merges with the background would look good...

and 2nd thing, I think people might get confused between Home and Homes, so may be some better word like Site Home can fix this problem...

and like others said, I too feel that site needs some content...to be frank when a visitor comes on the site, he expects some info about the site rather than ad. I think you can use that area to provide info about the work and move ad below that...

Rest looked fine to me...

Regards
    Deep

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Your home listings should be the most prominent thing on your site yet you seem almost ashamed of them. Move that "Inventory" link up to your main links why are you hiding it at the bottom of the page?
    Good point, I made the "Finding a Home" button link to the inventory as that is where the bulk of my content is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2260
    The site lacks some content. I still don't really understand what you do?
    I changed some of the wording in the title and links to make it a bit more clear. The main content of the site is for a user to find a community where builders are constructing new homes. Their are also pictures of each community to give them an idea of what it looks like. I made the link to the inventory a bit easier to get to. It was a bit confusing I suppose.

Need more info on the homepage telling what the site is about.
    I was told by a friend it was too wordy, now it is not wordy enough! I will try and find a happy medium, thanks for the comments.

Let me know if the changes are beneficial, or if you spot something else.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JManuel
    I was told by a friend it was too wordy, now it is not wordy enough! I will try and find a happy medium, thanks for the comments.
    Yeah short and sweet is good for the web but you have no USEFUL text.

Useful is the key word here (pardon the pun) It is the words you use that is of most importance not the amount of words so much.

Think in terms of SEO. The first thing I see is you talking about you and your mom being a team, that's all well and good maybe on a sperate "about us" page but if I am looking for a new home I am not going to search for "mother son realtor team" talk more about new homes in Katy and West Houston that's what I would search for.

The earlier point about you nav at the very top should not be ignored, I actually missed seeing it first time around

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I see is you talking about you and your mom being a team, that's all well and good maybe on a sperate "about us" page but if I am looking for a new home I am not going to search for "mother son realtor team"
    Ok cool, I see what you are saying I think, I changed it to that so I could clarify that I am not a Builder or New Construction Co.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2260
    Some of your content suggests that you are a construction company, and some suggest you are a realtor. That's a problem.

I am horrible at SEO, it is something I will have to work on and I assume it has a lot to do with my text. Text is something that I have not concentrated on, but I will in the near future. I am trying out google ads for the time being and I will see how that goes. Next month I will most likely pay for SEO, even if that is out of order lol...

Thanks again for the comments.