User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so whadaya think?

http://silver-stars.net

it's a site full of resources (not exactly full yet at all) but, I'm trying to get as much resources as I can.. been tired and very busy.

Anyway, so what do you think of the site? the layout, content, etc.

It's probably one of the top best layouts I've made and people have told me it looks good. it kinda looks like the 70s (black and white)

But anyway, if you have anything to submit (writings, gallery, graphics, etc.) please feel free to... Oh and don't forget to submit your links in the links page http://silver-stars.net/links

Also, what do you think of the chatroom? friendly people?

thanks for reviewing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

When the page first loaded, I thought it was a phpNuke site - the layout is very similar.

My main issue is from reading the index page I still dont really know what the site is about. Sure, I know it is a resource site - but what kind of resources, and for what?

After looking around you are right that this site does need more content. I go to the news page and you tell visitors that as this site is quiet you have been working on a new one. This doesnt give me the impression you are working on making this site even better, and makes me wonder why I should stick around.

However, I think with some more content this site could become a popular resource. Concentrate on getting new content, and perhaps think of a way to brighten the site up a little, just two or three colours could work magic!

Best of luck with the site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be in politics - the main goal section says a few things but doesnt really SAY anything. I agree with Reedy that it needs to give us its point. If it is going to be a personal site for your personal use, I'd say it looks good. If you're going to sell things and focus on getting people there, I'd add a little color.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd delete the following line if I were you "While the site doesn't seem much popular and doesn't have as many unique visitors as other sites." It's not really relevant to the people visiting. You seem to ramble along with your writing a bit (I do it too!), try to keep a focus. Try to make it more apparant to your visitors what the site is about when they first get to your site.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why people are saying this site looks "70s." The 70s had garish, earthy color schemes like avocado and pumpkin, not black and silver. The closest theme I would say this site has has is something more "gamer" or "1980s heavy metal." In fact, when I first opened up your index I thought it was maybe a clan site for an RPG or something, or perhaps a fan site for rock music.

On what petertdavis said: He's right. Do you really want to pitch your site with: "While the site doesn't seem much popular and doesn't have as many unique visitors as other sites..." I mean, what a way to really sell your site, lol. What-- barely has any visitors and isn't popular? Thanks for telling me. Okay, I'll pass!

What does "Your Res" mean? I see these words that seemed as if they're getting chopped off or something in the header. I'm on IE6, 800x600.

I'm sorry, but you have some really bad tiling problems with whatever texture you are using for your side columns. I can see the seams with each repeat.

Padding, padding, padding... I almost sound like a broken record these days, but please add padding to your menu list items, so they don't run smack against the borders.

As for content: I think this site is severely lacking in focus, which is why the previous posters are saying that they have no idea what it's about. You talk about offering resources, but resources about what, specifically? Everything and the kitchen sink? (From ant farming to zoology), or what? Just web design? Who will your audience be? Are you catering this site to a specific crowd? These are issues you might want to address, because right now your site comes across as very vague.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first thing I thought it needed when I first went on the website was color. It seems very dull because it has only two dark colors. So, I would look into some other color schemes because your topic is on many things, so you need something that is neutral. I would say get some lighter colors, but that is my opinion.

You do not really need a big button for "Navigation" because people will already know that is the navigation menu, so you can probably remove that. I would even get rid of the three below it as well.

Try some other patterns in your menus because you can see the repetition in those and it does not look very professional. Also, put a picture or something in your header to spruce it up a little.

Your navigation menu could use some work as far as organization goes. Instead of having all these topics listed, put something such as "Resources" and then bullet those topics that you are displaying on the website. This will help because if you are trying to get a website for information around the globe, then you can always add to this list.

Another thing is your slogan, I think it could provide more information than just saying "Your Resources." Try some other ones to see how they fit.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi this needs a little life. You colors are too dull because of the monotome colors.

the background image you use in right and left collum has some sort of error on mac and safari (haven't tried it on other browsers) it's as if starting point and end point isn't the same and therefore you can see where the image starts and stops.

Some of the my other comments is allready mentioned..

Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No contrast in the design at all, which is rule 1 when you want to make something look more interesting. The texture of the side bars doesn't tessalate at all, which is very distracting and was the first thing i looked it instead of the title or the content. Using hints of colour would be very powerful on such a monochrome site, although it's easy to creat contrast even just with black and white.

I also agree with the past comment about it looking like a clan website for an RPG, the font at the top is particularly causing that i think.

Also your layout reszies with percentages, this doesn't work. I browse at 1600x1200 and the menus are stretched way to far out. Fix the width of the side bars and let the centre content area size to fill the rest. The top heading image also runs out. If you didn't want to spend alot of time making new images and fixing this, you could make the site fixed-width.

Fix those things and i think you have a good layout.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others that the drab, dark color scheme with no contrast isn't very inviting. It does kinda look like a gamer site with the dark monochrome colors, funky font, and textures. I don't think it's a good choice if you are hoping to attract a general audience, which seems to be the case.

If you really want to stick with that kind of look, at least add some touches of color and light. Also consider using a very light grey or white for text - grey text on dark background is harder to read and will lose visitors faster than easy-to-read text. I'm not a big fan of the dark red text on medium gray either. It's been proven over and over again that white or light background with black or dark text encourages visitors to read your content and stick around longer.

The background texture (art.gif) doesn't tile smoothly so is distracting.

Many, many typos and incorrect grammar. Use spell check and find a native English speaking buddy who can help with sentence structure and grammar.

I think you need to think about content and site purpose as well as design. There are a gazillion sites that already do what you are trying to start doing. If there is some reason that people should come to your site instead of the others, you need to spell it out and give visitors a reason to choose you over other sites. If you can't give a good reason, you might rethink and adjust your site plan. You say "focused on collecting a vast range of resources for everyone around the globe. It is still and always looking forward to be a huge resource site" but that doesn't differentiate your site from the other gazillion. I'm not saying there's not room for more, but give visitors a reason to read on and return again.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really just have a couple of minor points to add to what everyone else has said;

1) On the right hand column you have everything center aligned except for the register button. It might make things look a little tidier if this was also centered.
    2) The search button on the left hand side could also do with a center align but this isn't as big a problem as the right hand column button.
    3) Your links within the text don't stand out enough from the rest of the text. When I look at each paragraph as a whole I can't really see where all the links are.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best of luck on your new site.
    Web Design and Development :: Fish Forum :: Gaming Reviews

Need articles or translations?
    Please PM me for rates and samples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the first thing i noticed that there is no difference between a forminput field and the navigation mouse out, they look exactly the same... pretty confusing

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impression. The layout is dark. When I stared on it a few seconds and went back to this forum window, it hurts my eye. >_<
    The background of the navigation is tiled, isn't it? It doesn't look that code. Myabe try to make a background that when repeated would create a smooth blend. I mean, a bg that won't look tiled. O_o
    You also need to work on your banner. I'm currently on an 800x600 resolution and the text on the banner is cut. What I can only read is "Your Resc". You could either cut your header into three. So that you would have your banner on the left (which contains the site name), a background in the middle, and on the right is th eimage with the text "Your Resc...".
    On the links part. Try using other colors for your links. Not just plain white or gray. Add some contrast.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White text on black/dark grey is a little out of date now, I never really liked that style, however of course that is just my opinion.

The left menu buttons would also look a lot better if they were padded from the left a bit, instead of touching the border.

The background repeats on the right/left menu also don't quite match, you can tell they are just repeated blocks which doesn't look too good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.

My first impression of your site is that your site style would turn me away. Theres too much of gray and white, which takes away from the sites content. The background on the left and right don't really match, and you can tell that it doesn't look too good. In my opinon, bring some color to the site, set a good background color, and make sure your surroundings won't distract the reader from the content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use dark backgrounds with light text too, but it just isn't professional looking. look at eBay, SitePoint, Yahoo, CafePress, etc. all of them use white or light background with dark text.
    It's much easier on the eyes, and makes users much more likely to read it.

While black is a cool color, it doesn't really work on HTML websites.

I would recommend a color revamp.
    Scott