SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Rails 1.o right around the corner!!

Hey folks-

I just wanted to let everyone know that Rails 1.0 is right around the corner. The rc2 cantidate was released today and they are saying that 1.0 will be released in the next 2 weeks. This is *big* news because rails 1.0 has over 300 new features than .13.1! Here is an overview of significant new features:

http://documentation.rubyonrails.com...notes/rc2.html

Rails 1.0 is also more than *TWICE* as fast as .13.1! Here is a rails 1.0 performance report:
    http://railsbench.rubyforge.org/rails/perf_report/

Note that Rails .14.1 is 1.0rc2 so get ready for the 1.0 release. There are some seriously great new feature like fastcgi spawner, spinner, reaper that makes controlling your fcgi's a lot nicer. There is also Migrations and Scheme.rb which allow you to define your database tables entirely in ruby with support for mySQL, postgreSQL and SQLite. SO write one ruby script to define a table and it can dump a schema for all three of those databases! DB independence and even closer to writing no SQL(if thats your thing...). Also there is a new plug in functionality that makes adding extensions like acts_as_taggable and others dead simple. Also Switchtower is a deployment app that can issue one command to scheck out your current runk out of svn and deploy it to a cluster of servers and even upgrade the production db schemas all within like 20 seconds. And it even puts up a temporarily under construction page for your users while it does the upgrades.

Rails is really becoming a platform that seriously kicks ***. If you haven't checked it out yet your missing out. Even if you don't want to use it there is much to be learned and applied to other languages/frameworks.

Cheers-
    -Ezra

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your site hosting all of the RubyConf videos. Not quite as good as being there, but it's a lot better than nothing!

In case anybody missed it: http://yhrhosting.com:7000/
    Rad Smith
    My blog

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radley-
    You're welcome!

Cheers-
    -Ezra

SitePoint Zealot bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is, Rails is shaping up from being really cool to being really cool AND really useful.

I'm currently involved in writing the specs for a complete website overhaul on a largish website, and I've put Rails on the table as something to consider (most of our discussions prior to this regarded how we were going to solve problems in PHP, not what we wanted/needed out of the site). This just makes me more certain that Rails is the way to go for us.

And, once we get it up and running, I can slap all of you around with some true numbers on how Rails handles under load
    If there is a way to overcome the suffering, there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, there is no point to worry.
    - Shantideva

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is I started writing my first Java apps today for my uni course (OK, they are on the level of "Hello World". However all I can say using Java today made me realise how good Ruby (and PHP is, even though I don't really like it now) is compared to the big load of poop Java is. Switching from Java to Ruby/Rails programming is a joy. Can't wait to see version 1 out. It's amazing how in such a short time Rails has managed to make such an impact. It makes you wonder what sort of stuff will be in store a couple of years down the line!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome, I can't wait

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiJaySung
    All I can say is I started writing my first Java apps today for my uni course (OK, they are on the level of "Hello World". However all I can say using Java today made me realise how good Ruby (and PHP is, even though I don't really like it now) is compared to the big load of poop Java is. Switching from Java to Ruby/Rails programming is a joy.
    @MiiJaySung, come on man, 1 out 3 posts of yours bashes Java.

As you can see from my other posts in the Ruby section ... I like and enjoy Ruby.

But people commenting a technology they don't know or understand are trully ignorant.

If your hating for Java comes from LoudThinking or the BileBlog (or another source of bashing), please stop now. If you want to be part of the Ruby community, you'll have to be friendlier than that.

And btw, it's a funny thing, because using Java today, makes me realize how incomplete Ruby is. But I can say it because I more advanced in both than "Hello World"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, Ruby is incomplete compared to Java?

You're going to have to explain this one. Do you mean libraries availabe? Frameworks/Tools available? Runtime performance?
    If there is a way to overcome the suffering, there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, there is no point to worry.
    - Shantideva

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTottE
    Huh, Ruby is incomplete compared to Java?
    I mean whatever you want ... and I was not trying to compare Java to Ruby, I was saying to @MiiJaySung to stop doing it without arguments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that comparing Java and Ruby is useless in the form it's been done here on the forum - but don't fuel the flaming by saying that Ruby is incomplete.
    - Shantideva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Migrations support, plugin system, spinner/spawner/reaper, and switchtower are amazing advancements in my opinion. They completely take Rails to a whole new level for application deployment.

I work in a company that uses both .NET and J2EE for heavy web-application development, and I can safely say that Rails has encorperated the best possible "standard" way of offering support for versioning your apps. I've not seen anything widespread enough in either of the other two communities (notice I'm not saying they don't exist, but simply that they're not 'packaged' into one place that all developers use).
    Studio Rockstar's Blog - A journey to quitting the dayjob.